Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PNW Heatwave - I'm ashamed

Options
Seattle Todd
Seattle Todd Posts: 227
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Up here in Seattle we broke a 130 year old record last night where the low temp didn't fall below 72 degrees. Currently at 103 and stable.

Tonight's the first night I've thrown in the towel and decided there will be no dinner from the BGE this evening. I know many Eggers go through the same kind of heat regularly but up hear we get so few heat waves that most homes don't have A/C. According the my trustly ol' Thermapen it's 96 in the house right now. :(

But enough whining! It's supposed to get back into the mid-high 80's by the weekend and the upside is that I'm figgerin' out what to make to absolve myself from the guilt. Now my only problem is that I have too many choices to whiddle down! :lol:

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I hear that the mini is a steak searing monster. :laugh:
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Tried to talk to my wife about that last year. :) Already have two larges and a medium. Her favorite food is steak, used that leverage, and she said that the current Eggs already make better steaks than the restaurant.

I don't mind this kinda heat at all if I can escape it a bit. My father-in-law lives in the Panhandle, Destin to be exact, and we've had some heat and humidity when visiting but you can always escape inside.

I'm going from 100+ to now 98 degrees.

The only thing that helps is my dumb-arse neighbors that have had their windows open all day to try and cool off. Much hotter outside, a little bit cooler inside, yeah that'll work. :evil:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds like a good night to heat up a CI skillet stovetop.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    We left 100+° Houston weather looking forward to 70° Alaska weather only to find Fairbanks was at 94° with 85% humidity. Fortunately, our lodge had a ceiling fan and oscillating fan. We had both working overtime.

Our tourguide in Vancouver said it was illegal to idle a vehicle but he did a couple of times. Otherwise we would have sufficated.

Let's hear it for air conditioners.

Spring "Hot Is For Cooking" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    We are much more acclimated to it down here but that is still hot.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

AMEN!! to that Eddie. :laugh:

My thermostat is set to 88º till I turn in (it only goes up to 90º), then I set it down to 85º - 86º. By the time our temperatures start to go down in the fall I will be chilly at any thing less than 80º. I have seen it this hot at Thanksgiving down here. I don't remember the last time it was 100º here, we almost never get that hot.

Gator

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    The irony is that we have a good friend an neighbor with A/C and the rest of my family is down there now basking in the cold(er) comfort.

I'm stuck at home because I have urgent work to get done by midnight tonight. My den is now up to 98. Wish I had some cold pizza for dinner. Heck I have a frozen 'za in the freezer. Might just unwrap it and have a go! :laugh:
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Enjoy your storms this week, Gator! :evil:

I hear ya. Seattle is a weird place weather-wise. I'm a native and I get sick of the folks that complain about the Winters and then complain about the heat when we get it.

I'm one of the few Seattle natives and this is the first time I've complained about the heat in 39 years.

Low 90's I can deal with, and actually enjoy. Above body temperature it's a whole other story. :)
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    at 98 id almost be scared to have my computer on. Its been hotter than hades here in Lubbock close to or over 100 for what seems like forever.

But my trusty a/c keeps the house at a comfy 74

Id never ever be able sleep without it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I've been watching the weather up your way, that's pretty dang hot for you folks.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    But isn't that a dry heat up there? :whistle:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Mornin Todd
    Might consider firin up an Egg or 2 around dawn and cook some dinner (and astronaut breakfasts) for the next few days. A cool salad topped with cool meat works great on those HOT evenings.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Todd,

My daughter lives there - in Lynwood and said last night she was considering sleeping on the floor in the bathroom, since her cats seemed to think that was the coolest spot in their non-air conditioned apartment! :ohmy:

She ran in a mini triathlon Tuesday and said the heat was pretty tough (after teh swimming part, of course).

I hope you guys get this heat wave over with cause we'll be coming up there mid-August and are looking forward to some cooler weather. It has been > 100 here for a great many days this summer!
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Good thinking on her part. ;) I keep checking the pulse of our older cat since he's mostly been laying on the floor.

Hopefully it will be back to 'normal' and in the mid-80's when you visit in August. I live about 15 minutes away from Lynnwood myself and normally we're at least a few degrees cooler than downtown and the airport, just not this time.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    Tallahassee had a strech of about ten days in June where the highs were in the 100 to 103 range every day. It was pretty tough. Other than that though this has been the coolest summer that Tally has seen in something like forty years. We've set several record lows in July, and a lot of days it has failed to reach 90. You have no idea how unusual it is for Tallahassee not to have a day between 15 June and 15 September that doesn't get to 90!!!!
  • Papa bear
    Papa bear Posts: 26
    Options
    Just a side note to all of this.

Went over and looked at the BGE thermometer in our egg last night and it was reading about 110 in the shade on our back porch.

Dang it was hot yesterday in Lynnwood as well.

Mike B)
  • OpusXcellent
    Options
    Ya I don't think there is any part of Seattle cool right now I'm in West Seattle baking but i have to say it is pleasant to be in the backyard at dusk when it cools down slightly that is good egging time
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Holy cow not only do we share the same favorite cigar but you're also in the Seattle Area!

Yeah it's definately a bit nicer at dusk and not quite as bad today. Unfortunately last night I was stuck inside working by the time it was cooling down.

Fortunately got a lot done up until it hit 98 in my home office and the thermal alarm went off on my PC and it 'tapped out' and immediately shut off.

Thinking maybe somethin' quick and easy like beer braised brats tonight. Well if nothing else beer. :lol:
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Funny thing is that not too terribly long after my last post last night the computer did in fact konk out.

I only had it on because #1 I work in the industry and #2 my last computer had a fan fail without me noticing and it got hot enough to go into 'emergency shutdown' mode. Warning alarm and off immediately. No nice shutdown sequence. :)
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Man so many Seattle-area folks I didn't know about on the forum! I live just northeast of Lynnwood SW of Snohomish. About 5 miles or so east of the 128th ST exit from I-5.