Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine butt chicken?

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are doing a whole chicken tonight, beer-butt style, but since we have some leftover merlot, I am considering a "wine-butt" chicken. So, I am open to sugestions about a rub that would go well with a wine steamed chicken.[p]Fritz

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Fritz,[p] Hi Fritz:[p] Don't know if you can get this, but we had whole chicken
    tonight. Rubed all over with Montreal Chicken Seasoning.
    First time we tried it, a real winner. Made by ClubHouse.[p] Earl

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Fritz, I know it is a little late in the game,, but I have found that if you brine your chickens a day ahead of time and rinse and dry them before applying a coating of sesame oil or olive oil, and a rub of Prudhommes Poultry Magic and Brucie's Blend, then let that sit overnight,,,,,,,,, you can grill them babys for 4 hours at 300 degrees and they will fall apart and still be moist and DELICIOUS! Simple,,, but you need to start a couple of days ahead.. My guest all said that it was the best chicken they have EVER eaten.. (credits to Cat)

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    When you said grill at 300 deg. for 4 hrs...was that indirect or direct??
    Bob

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Fritz,
    I like to keep the 'wine-butt' chicken simple. Just some kosher salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. This lets whatever is in the chicken sitter come through well.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RLA,
    I would guess he did it indirect. Unless butterflied, I wouldn't think direct would work very well on a whole chicken. A vertical roaster or v-rack in a drip pan is the way to go IMO.[p]I DO look forward to trying Cat's butterflied bird done direct! [p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    RLA, N.B.'s right. It was indirect with a plate setter upside-down under the rack. I have found that the brined bird is the way to go when you may need to extend the cooking time to stall for time to eat. The longer it cooks, the better it is. I can't believe how the birds retain the moisture, and they stay "fall-apart tender". I do 2 fryer hens at a time, butt to butt on a "V" rack.