Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Telemarketers: \"Out of Area\" etc.

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in Off Topic
The "out of area" calls are coming fast and furiously again here. Dunno what brought that on, after months of silence.

For those of you that simply hang up, you can go back to the forum, nothing to see here.

But I generally will answer the phone with a little bit of hope that it's a "real" phonecall, probably inherited it from my mother's side.

The second they launch into their spiel, I cut in and ask very simply "how much of what I give to you today will go directly to the..." In my case today it was "Policeman's Reserve Fund".

Here's the weird thing. Apparently they are required to tell you. I used to just ask, they'd say "i don't know", and then i felt even better about saying "put us on the do-not-call list" and then hanging up. One day I asked, and i actually got an answer. Usually it's something like "I don't know, but here's a 1-800-number you can call for the information". And then they thank ME for my time and hang up.

But lately they have had the info. the HIGHEST percentage anyone has ever quoted to me as actually going to the fund they are fundraising for, is 13%. Today, the guy told me that of my donation, as MUCH as 1% (one!) would go to the "Policeman's Reserve Fund".

I dunno. Like I said, if you are the tuff guy that just hangs up, no problem. But if you are a "nice" person, and you'd like remove that tiny sense of remorse for slamming the phone on another human, simply ask them how much goes directly to the fund they are calling on behalf of.

I'm nicer in real life than on the forum probably. Plus, it has become a game, seeing how "much" will go where they say. ...or more typically, how little.

>>edited: FOLLOWUP ...hahaha a Google Search for "Policeman's Reserve Fund" turns up exactly ONE hit. An article from a 1903 edition of the New York Times.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    the last donation to the police retirement fund here at work was picked up by a kid that actually pulled up smokeing a joint in the car. now its, im not interested and a hang up. :whistle: even the police officer thats my neighbor on disability wont donate.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    i like to give them grief, but it's a tiny bump in their day of raking it in. little old ladies scared of all the crime and hiding in their homes are who they really want to connect with.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ONE PERCENT?? Where does the other 99% go??

Least when I beg for money it's the opposite. 95% goes to feed the troops and other 5% goes to the cost of begging for more money..
  • stike
    Options
    profit. the guys calling are never calling from the people they represent. they are "on behalf of..." and take a "fee" for their services. usually the fee (commonly) is 85%. until today, i had NEVER had someone tell me honestly that they were keeping 99% for "administration fees"

i don't mind hanging up on most of them, but when someone calls about kids for cancer, that's where is ask. even those places often don't give more than 15% to the actual kids who have cancer.

i give locally, and/or directly to the organization itself. they will take donations without having to gi through a "fundraising consultant" (pirate)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Actually, the hired solicitation company takes a cut and then forwards what's left to the charity. They then take a cut for "administration fees" and pass on what's left to the people in need. The reason they give you a 1-800# is because they only raise the money and no clue what the acual charity passes on.
  • stike
    Options
    right.
    i'm just saying that first cut is usually close to 85%. ...never had it be LESS than that. meaning, the fundraiser alone is taking 85% of the donation.

true "admin" fees are usually fairly low, another 5 to 15%
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi stike,

Are you really "nicer in real life than on the forum" ??? I thought you were nice on the forum . . . heck, I might even like to meet you someday! :lol: (hope I do)

I'm not far from being totally deaf, have been most of my life. One advantage I might have is that I filter all phone calls through my answering machine. I got in the habit many years ago before there ever was a "no call list" and solicitors were calling morning, noon and night. It is super aggravating to take out a hearing aid to answer an amplified phone only to listen to some pitch. Anyone who knows me knows I will pick up if I hear a call come in that needs my attention. I also have a stand alone caller ID box on my desk where I can read it at a glance and see who is calling when it rings. I get quit a few wrong numbers and solicitors that hang up when they hear the answering machine. For the fun of it I sometimes call the solicitors back and ask them what they want. They often don't know what to say so then I ask to be put on the "no call list".
    I'm all for supporting charities and those that need the money but as long as I can't afford to see the doctors and dentist I need they will have to wait in line while I figure out how to pay my next auto insurance bill, maintenance fee or property taxes. Till then I will donate blood, the price is right and every 56 days or so I can do it at my leisure and I have a good idea of what percentage is going to the actual cause. :laugh:

Have a great day,

Gator

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    BRAVO!! They're all slimy, low-lifes who haven't yet managed to mount the wagon of 'hope & change'. What a surprise is in store for those stinking maggots...
  • CBBQ
    Options
    They are also not all not-for-profit entities. We always ask for their 501c3 #. Legitimate ones can usually give it to you.
  • CBBQ
    Options
    What low-lifes and maggots are you talking about?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I for one am glad you give directly.

I can honestly say 98% of the money donated to American Spirit BBQ from the forum went to feed the troops. Most of the "admin fees" were donated with that purpose in mind. That other 2% has yet to be spent.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Have you got the shirts made yet?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I have neither the time nor the patients for someone trying to sell me something that I don't want. If I was interested in their services I would have called them. As far as charities go, I really do give at the office through the CFC. In addition I donate to the local fire department, Red Cross, Waterfront Rescue Mission, the Salvation Army and some others through out the year. I am completely satisfied knowing that I am a good citizen and give more than my share. When my children were little 2,3,4 years old I would let them talk to them until they got tired and hung up. :laugh: :evil:
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Every time we get a call from the boiler rooms asking for Mr. (or Mrs) Gilbert, I simply tell them that, . . . ."gosh I'm sorry. You called at a bad time Mr. Gilbert just (sob) passed away and we're just back from the service."

Every time I've done that in the past I hear a 'click' and they're gone! The good part is, they seem to remove your name from the list because I don't think we've gotten 6 calls in the last couple of years! Even from what we know are local groups.

My wife used to think I was terrible but, even she does it now.

They pay good money for those lists and are happy to remove your name so next time they don't have to pay for it again and best of all - I'm dead to them!! :evil:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Honestly no.. I need a minimum order and I am about half way there.
  • Rascal
    Options
    So true.. TM's are those who can't find a real job!
  • Rascal
    Options
    I simply tell them: "I'm masticating at the moment and can't handle your intrusion.."