Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need little help

aaind
aaind Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at our little county fair ,we had a cook out ,all the eggs did O K we had a 2nd 6th and somthing out of 24
But how or what do you do to pork loin to get it so tender ,The guy that won had pork loin that almost melt in your mouth ( not tender loin )
Can or do boil it 1st ???
Dave

000_0031.jpg
Mini are awsome

Comments

• DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Try soaking in a good brine and then wrapping it in bacon.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Pork loin like tenderloin doesn't need to be cooked much past 140 degrees.

After about 150 or so it starts to dry out and get tough to chew.

Now I am sure you will here this and some will dispute it, but at 140 the juices will have a red tint to them. That is NOT blood or raw meat. It is the effect of the smoke on the meat.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the pink in the fluid isn't from the smoke, it's from a number of things, myoglobin being one. as i know you already know, myoglobin is also involved in the chemical process that turns meat pink. but the pink/red juices happen whether or not there is smoke involved in the cook.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    this chart has pull temps and finish temps, its based on roasting temperatures. its pretty accurate for the most part. my mothers pork loin was so dry and tough salt just bounce off it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Somehow I knew you'd get technical on me. I still see it more in pork loin I cook on my egg then I do in my oven (if I had an oven)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i'm not getting technical. i'm saying one has nuthin to do with the other.

i know i know, big bad stike won't leave CW alone. that's not it. i'm saying an answer ain't an answer when it only confuses things further. and there's way too much of that here

people only remember what's easy to remember, and i can just see a year from now someone saying that red juice from cooked meat is a result of smoking the meat....

and the poor dude on the receiving end of that answer goes away thinking he learned something
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I cooked about 100 lbs of pork loin for my church on a couple of eggs. I tried to pull them around 140 degrees internal meat temp. Do to the shear amount of meat some where a little over and some a little under. They were all placed in a cooler and rested for 30 minutes before serving. They were all very good and some that were slightly pulled before 140 were probably the best. I don't know why but some had some areas you could tell were fork tender, even more so then rare beef fillet. Naturally, I sampled many of those areas while cuting up the meat. ;)

None were marinated and they were all cooked at 350 dome temp for around 1.5 hours.