Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tri Tip

Options
HighMedLow
HighMedLow Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would you have cooking suggestions for my 4 lb Tri Tip which is currently marinading in Syrah, worcestershire & garlic (2 days now)?[p]I'd like to try a low & slow, what temp exposure & internal would you recommended ?
Should I treat it like a beef roast & remove (since I like 'em close to rare) at 125 ?[p]George Dickel (sour mash)is helping me this afternoon, so I'll be reading any response carefully.. (at least thats my plan)[p]thanks for the help.

Comments

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    HighMedLow,[p]I would not low and slow this cut, it is more of a steak than a roast, even at the size and weight of the one you have. I would cook at about 350 with a good hickory smoke until internal temp is 125 or so.[p]This web page might be helpful in learning where the tri-tip comes from and how to enjoy is best. [p]http://www.calbeef.org/recipes_tri-tip_cutting.htm[p]Bill T
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Bill T,
    This cut can be done both ways, when I worked in the sausage kitchen (meat cutters in the front of the plant,sausage kitchen in the rear) we use to coat with a Hawaiian teriyaki sauce and cook in the smoke house for 2 to 4 hours and could not keep the butchers from the front of the plant coming to back so they could get some. Yes, the boss loved it too. LOL (We did this almost weekly for ourselves.)[p]Try it a few different ways and then go with what you like.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 35
    Options
    HighMedLow,[p]I think the best way by far for this roast is to sear at very high heat on the side without the fat untill pretty well browned. If there is a fat cap (if there is, I would leave it on) then you will want to close down the egg when you turn it over to prevent flare up. If no fat cap, then sear high on the other side and then bring temp down to the 350 range. Be sure to cover and rest for 5-10 min before carving. Be sure to carve cross grain and you'll have an excellent roast.[p]Justin

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    HighMedLow,I do tri tips low & slow all the time. Cook/smoke @ 250 -275 for 4- 4.5 houres. Use apple or hickory chunks. Cut off the fat cap and slice against the grain. I am assuming there is a fat cap. Otherwise grill it high the the others suggest. I always buy mine with a fat cap. One of the best cuts of beef there is. tstick

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    tstick,[p]A person named astick [not tstick?] gave me a great tip: 250 for two hours, and let it rest for a half hour, and then slice thin across the grain. Lots of smoke flavor -- tender and juicy. Not the way I used to do tri tip, but I do now.
  • HighMedLow
    Options
    tstick,[p]The one I have has No fat to speak of on the outside. I'm hoping the wine, sauce & garlic will be addative in the flavor dept, but not distractive.[p]
    Thanks for thr input.

• HighMedLow,
    you may wanna try making him like a mummy, wrap in bacon, then cook.
    A tri-tip Mummified..........a good show for Discovery Channel and to think it all started here. (wink)

• HighMedLow
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]oooh that sounds good. Do you have an internal meat temp sugestion to remove from the heat? I was thinking like a roast , at 125 ? (resting will rise it to (?) some higher temp.[p]I'm thinking I could use some of the Shag Bark Hickory . .
    for smokey flavor dept.[p]Thanks

• HighMedLow
    Options
    Wil,[p]Oh, are there pyramids involved ?[p]On secod thought, never mind...[p]Good grilling to ya'[p]HML
  • a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Options
    HighMedLow,[p]My reply is probably too late, but tstick (my dad) won't steer you wrong. I did my first tri-tip low-n-slow a few weeks ago. 2.7 lbs and it work out to be 50 minutes per lb at 250 degrees. The butcher had trimmed most of the fat off without my knowing. And it was great - coated with mustard then rubbed.[p]I took it off at an internal temp of 150, foiled and rested for 45 minutes. Temp rose to 158 and it was a perfect medium. For your rare just take it off when you hit your temp.[p]Enjoy!!
  • HighMedLow
    Options
    astick,
    Not to late, I've removed the meat from the marinade, patted dry and returned to the refer (uncovered) with a light coating of vegeta and med coating of paprika.
    We shall see.

• HighMedLow
    Options
    Bill T,[p]A quote from the URL site mentioned (interesting):[p]"Home cooks often wonder why their steaks don't look and taste the same as those from a restaurant. One reason is that the intense heat of a restaurant grill or broiler that sears steaks and gives the surface that flavorful "crusty" finish cannot be duplicated at home."
  • Prof Dan
    Options
    HighMedLow,[p]I do it to an internal temp of 150 with the low and slow method, and then it rises to 160 during the resting time. Sounds way too high, but it came out great. I usually like meat medium rare, but this is an exception.

• Prof Dan
    Options
    astick,[p]Amen. I did it your way, after you posted your method, and I am a convert![p]Thanks!