Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Texture

Options
mtcwell
mtcwell Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All-
Please help. I am an AVID BGE cook and especially love ribs!! Here's my problem. I am in search of a certain consistency, texture of the actual rib meat. What I get now while moist, tender, and flavorful is an almost mushy meat consistency. For better visualization if you were to bite into the rib it would leave jagged edges instead of a rounded bite. I hope someone sees this and understands what I'm saying. I'm looking for more of a steak type texture I think.

I've had many times the rib I want. Most recently this past week at a rib joint in Destin FL. Anyway what can I do to get this rib texture? Usually I cook my ribs at about 225-250 for 3-4 hours. I usually use the rub du jour - nothing special. No marinating. Let the ribs come to room temp by setting them out for about an hour. Plate setter. No drip pan. Cherry and apple chips for smoke flavor. I am open to speaking over the phone if anyone is feeling benevolent. Thanks in advance.
Terry

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Did 4 St Louis slabs last saturday after trimming the brisket portion. Did on large at 275-300F first 3 hours and then dropped to 250F- and basted with my favorite BBQ sauce mixed with equal parts water/apple juice. These were done on a large indirect with a pan of water 1 inch deep to catch the dripping on a plate setter with 1/2 copper elbows to raise the pan. After 6 1/2 hours they were great.

ribscooking-1.jpg

When doing Baby backs I do for 4 1/2 -5 hours same method. Have wrapped in HDAF before but too messy and too much trouble for my interests.

PS had Third Eyes Apple pie beans,but used cherry pie filling as Rick's Tropical Delight came up with some time back. Next time might use 2 cans Cherry pie filling. Definately a keeper.

BEANSCHERRY.jpg
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I've cooked a couple slabs. I think what you are talking about is what judges want for comps. If you are foiling, great chance they may come out mushy if u leave them in the foil to long.
    Just an opinion but u don't ribs come up to room temp before smoking them, cold pork absorbs more smoke flavor and better smike ring, when cold.
    Vist Thirdeyes site for my class and if u need help will be more than willing to take a phone call.
    Just e-mail.
    ribs2.jpg
    [imhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/mjm1000/PORK/DSC_0040.jpgg size=150][/img]

Mike
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    em are some good looking ribs Mike! Do you like BB or spares better?
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Beautiful, Mike. I can make ribs that are good-looking before I cut them, but for some reason I can't get my bark to stay put like you do...it always seems to want to slide.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'll second Mike's comment about foiling. I usually cut my in-foil time on 3-1-1 ribs to 45 minutes or even less to keep them from getting too mushy.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mike,

That is some damn nice looking parsley. See post above.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Thx, I stick with baby backs and cook spares twice a year so I don't forget how. :woohoo:
    That is littered with typos but to tired to edit. :blush::whistle:

Mike
  • Ohatchee
    Ohatchee Posts: 56
    Options
    Is it fair to say that you want a little more "pull" left on your ribs? Do you like them to be a little chewy rather than be able to pull the bone out easily after cooking. If so, I'm the same way.

I have found that wrapping the ribs in foil for even 1-hour may make the ribs "too mushy". I rely more heavily on some apple juice and water in a pan just above my indirect heat setup and then I spray my ribs with a blend of apple cider vinegar and apple juice. This seems to make the ribs moist, but firm enough to cut with a clean look.

Additionally, I can't prove or explain it, but I believe that using cherry wood (rather than oak or apple) results in my ribs being a little more firm after cooking.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    UltimateThrowdownC4.jpg

I cook back ribs a little hotter than belly ribs. I don't do the room temperature thing either, but that might not be that big of a deal.... Nothing personal, but you just need some pit time, a notebook and the patience to make subtle changes until you get them where you want them. Barbecue is a journey, not a destination. Really it is. Most of us never really get there.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ohatchee
    Options
    Thirdeye.....via that picture alone, I can see the Lockhart / Elgin influence in your BBQ. Ribs, sausage, saltines, and pickles......no sauce and butcher paper!!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I don't eat ribs anymore. I just cook for others and how they want them. I will try one at an eggfest before serving but rarely cook ribs for me.
    Slight tug, is what I was told. But I can help people do ribs anyway they want them. The best ribs, are the ones the cook likes not me.
    All i use is cherry and apple.

Mike
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC02385a.jpg

You have a keen eye for detail.

DSC07298bcopy-1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Ohatchee
    Options
    Classic....I knew it! Isn't it funny how just a few clues can lead you to a BBQ conclusion!
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    DSC02385a.jpg

You have a keen eye for detail.

DSC07298bcopy-1.jpg

What do they use the ice pick for??
  • mtcwell
    Options
    Thanks so much thirdeye and everyone. The above looks just like what I'm looking for. Someone else mentioned competition style might be what I'm looking for also. That makes a lot of sense. I recently attended a BGE cooking class at the corporate store here in the metro Atl GA area. The guys who taught the class were competitive smokers. The ribs they made were excellent. Juicy, tender, smoky, and yet the meat was firm. Thanks again to everyone and I'll keep at it.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    Make sure you purchase unenhanced ribs. The solution in the enhanced ones makes the meat mushy.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    To determine tenderness by probing.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• mtcwell
    Options
    So from a butcher rosros? I usually buy the 3 pack from BJ's.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hi Terry, E me your number.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Those from BJ's should be fine and not enhanced.
  • BayBreeze
    BayBreeze Posts: 5
    Options
    Dear Terry, next time you are in Destin, stop by our store, Bay Breeze Patio. We are the local BGE dealer. I have a large outside that you can practice on.
    Still sunny and hot down here!

BR,
    Wayne
  • mtcwell
    Options
    Thanks Wayne. We plan to be back down for 10 days in September. I might take you up on that. Or at least stop by for some pointers. Cheers!
  • Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    Options
    I have found the mushy texture to be an issue when one or both of the following occur:
    1. Ribs not cooked long enough
    2. Foil put on either for too long or too early in the process. If you use a higher heat but foil early, a lot of moisture gets in.
  • mtcwell
    Options
    Thanks CB! I'm getting lots of good info!
  • mtcwell
    Options
    Thanks CB! I'm getting lots of good info!
  • mtcwell
    Options
    For anyone who cares (everyone right?) I found the rib texture I was looking for. I used the method found in Competition BBQ secrets by Bill Anderson. Man they were the best! The first ribs I've made since I've had an Egg that I ate all by myself. Didnt share one rib LOL!!! Thanks again to everyone and I really recommend that book.