Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak 'searing' open or closed?

Mistick2
Mistick2 Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, not sure, but when you guys sear a steak for your 60-90 seconds, is that with the lid open or closed? Sorry for the newbie question, but I never read about it when people describe their cooking method, just how long they sear it for. Thanks ! B)

Comments

• i do it closed. ...others do it opened. ..you will get a mish mash of answers on this one. ...
  • Mistick2
    Mistick2 Posts: 15
    Thanks....wasn't sure if there was a 'rule' or anything!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    only rule is that you get from it what you want. sometimes i want a heavy char on the outside and bright red meat in the middle, oopen works well for that. nice little grill crosshatches seem to be better with the lid closed. ;) do what works for you
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    I get best sear results with dome open and cast iron grate

BGEribeye-scallops7-19-09003.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I do mine closed...except for when I am turning the steak...LOL...closed for me.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I do it closed and on a cast iron grid....thinking being is...why expose the handle and the upper gasket to that kind of direct heat...but as Max said...no real wrong way...
  • DSCN0693.jpg

800+ with the dome closed . ..
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
  • thanks...you can just about hold a small steak over that open vent and sear there . . LOL. ..like the top of your chiminea when its really roaring. . .i don't usually get it going quite like that in all honesty ...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    no thru the dome shot :laugh: that south american lump would have dusted the neighborhood like mt st helens
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • here's one from another t-rex burn ...had to stand on a stool and use the zoom to keep from melting the camera (AND ME!!!) . ..

DSCN1582.jpg

was probably 900 degrees. ..

DSCN1581.jpg

nothin but a bed of lava. . .i think this was the time i actually saw my firebox crack. . .sounded like a gunshot!!

DSCN1588.jpg

it was worth it though for these sirloins . . they were a full 3 inches thick!!

DSCN1576.jpg

DSCN1590.jpg

DSCN1597.jpg

and as i recall it was a pretty memorable meal. ..an no stinkin squash or other green stuff to spoil it neither!!! LOL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    JB what an outstanding picture ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Have to buy a new firebox? I'm assuming when you say "cracked" you mean it cracked into 2 seperate pieces? Awesome pics by the way. never seen a thermometer on a BGE that high before... How long and how difficult is it to get temps that hot with a BGE? Also, is it safe to take the BGE up that high or will you pretty much crack your fire box everytime?

Sorry for the questions, I've heard everybody say they can get their bge 800+ but that's the first time i've actually SEEN it. pretty exciting! can't wait to get mine!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

highpress
  • with a clean egg and a fresh load of lump you can be at the those temps within 15-20 minutes of lighting the egg. ...the key to not melting your gaskets is not staying at those temps any longer than it takes to then sear your steaks. ...i wasnt' there more than 8 - 10 minutes, then right back down under 500 degrees. .. .i do it every time i t-rex a steak which is a couple of times a month over the last 7 - 8 years now. ..

most fireboxes crack on folks at temps around 500 degrees or so . ..you wont' even realized its happened to you until one day you are looking in your egg, cleaning out the ash and you go "damn, my firebox is cracked". . ..i own three eggs, the fireboxes in all three are cracked, in some cases in two or three places. ..i have replacements for all three (all generously provided free under the warranties). ...and i haven't actually put them in the eggs yet ...they will wait until the current cracked fireboxes completely fall apart. ..
  • Davidg5700
    Davidg5700 Posts: 32
    Amazing sear :woohoo:

Now which gives the better flavor: perpendicular sear lines or skewed? :whistle:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Mistick,

(Also gave this response on the other "open dome thread).

Here is my thinking (for what it's worth :) ):

If I'm using the 'Sear and Dwell" method (sear, then shut all the vents and wait until the temp is where I want to pull it off), then I do it all closed.

If I am doing the true TRex method, I use a small cast iron grid on a spider, get the lump lava-ish and the grid sorta whitish (dome open whole time). I sear 90 sec on each side, then remove the steak to rest inside for 20 minutes while i closed the dome and get it stabilized at 400*. (Sear and Roast method). Back on with dome closed until temp is where I want it. I keep the dome open for this method so the dome ceramics don't get so hot, making it easier to get the temp down to 400* for the roast. I use the spider which allows me to get a good sear with a smaller fire since I am so close to the lump.

Just the technique I have developed from eggsperience. You will find out which works best for you.

Good cooking !
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Of course to each their own, but I get it smokin hot (700+), and blast em down near the coals with a reverse extended grill with the dome closed. I go the full 90 seconds and sometimes a bit more. I absolutely love a real serious crust to my medium rare steak.
    This one's for you Ripnem...again. :laugh:
    searedribeye.jpg
    ribeyecut.jpg
    fire.jpg