Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prepared mustard - why?

GeoduckGeoduck Posts: 76
edited 4:06AM in EggHead Forum
I see in several posts/recipes that one should rub meat, especially ribs, with prepared mustard. Can you tell me why? Does it do anything besides add flavor? Is the flavor really special??

Obviously a newbie...

Comments

• Ex-GasmanEx-Gasman Posts: 287
    Keeps rub on the meat better..
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    Helps to hold the rub and the flavor is not even noticed. Unless you are alergic to mustard you will not even know it was used. Great on beef ribs and roasts also.
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,360
    I did an experiment.. 2 butts, side-by-side; one with mustard & rub, the other with just rub. End result was that the butt with just a rub was the winner. That's only my test and perhaps I'm missing something that matters... As an add on, Dijon mustard on racks of lamb ribs will change your mind forever! Perhaps I'll try the Dijon on the pork! 8 - ),,,
  • BayouMarkBayouMark Posts: 283
    For my two cents worth, I think the mustard holds the rub on the meat and I also believe it develops a better bark on the meat. I use mustard on my briskets and butts and the bark is awesome. It really boils down to what taste you are trying to achieve.
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi Geoduck,

The few times that I have used mustard I used it on Boston Butts for pulled pork. I like a good bark in my pulled pork and the mustard may have helped develop more bark. I used Gulden's Spicy Brown and really slathered it on, it certainly didn't hurt the flavor. To say how much it helped I would have to cook two butts side by side, one with, one with out. I would use it again.

Gator

*edit* I just read Rascals reply where he has done the side by side test, good job Rascal. I may have too revise my thinking. *edit*
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,360
    I hear ya.. Perhaps I'll try Dijon (as I edited my prior post) next time 8 - )
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've tried it and haven't found it to do much of anything to be worth all the mess, my rub stays on fine without it. -RP
  • RaeboRaebo Posts: 47
    I'm with AZRP.
    Mustard is messy.
    I use a dry rub.
    I keep it in the pantry, when I need some I mix it with a light olive oil to make a paste.
    The oil really helps the rub's flavor penetrate the meat.
    Cook right away but 24 hours in the fridge is best.
    Oily hands are easier to wash than yellow mustard hands.
    I use cheap throw away surgical gloves.
  • OhatcheeOhatchee Posts: 56
    I also subscribe to the "rub hold" and "bark / crust" view on the role of prepared mustard. In terms of flavor, I'm not sure I really notice any impact -- unless dijon or some other invigorated mustard is used.
  • BuxwheatBuxwheat Posts: 727
    It is my understanding that the vinegar in the mustard helps render the fat out. Vinegar is often used as a mop or sprayed on while pork is cooking.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    bah. vinegar tastes good. that's all. folk lore is often correct in general, but incorrect specifically.

meaning, the reason they give you may be wrong, but it still works out in the end.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GeoduckGeoduck Posts: 76
    Thanks all.
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    We aint cookin hot dogs. :laugh:
    Just Kidding. IMHO, prepared mustard's only valid use is on a hot dog or turkey sandwich.