Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken Question

Options
Thing 1
Thing 1 Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna do the my first Spatchcocked yard bird this weekend and have been looking over the forum recipe. Couple of questions for my mentors.... Cook with raised grid direct ??? and what type of rub do you guys recommend ??[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Thing 1,
    Yep, that's how I do them. Raised grid direct. You can flip the bird mid-cook, but I don't bother. Lazy, I guess. My favorite rub for chicken is Montreal Steak Seasoning. Wierd, huh? [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Thing 1,[p]One of our favorites on a spatch'd chicken is Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin, which you can mail-order. A grocery store favorite is Tony Chachare's.[p]QBabe
    :~)

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig Rubs[/ul]
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Thing 1,
    Here's another consideration for you: Some of you may have gathered from my recent threads that I am in something of a "wood period" right now. I haven't used any rubs yet on spatchcocked chicken, and I cook it indirectly using the plate setter. I threw in some apple wood last time and it seemed to add quite a bit of extra flavor I had not noticed before. The apple wood also gave the skin an interesting brown color. The dinner guests all raved...yada, yada, yada. There is no easier way to impress people than to cook for them on the BGE! If I was younger and single again, I wonder if this thing could be a good chick magnet.

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    1tbs kosher salt, 1tbs fr. gr. bl. pepper, 1tbs hungarian paprika, 1tbs dk brn sugar, 1/4 tsp cayenne. Good flavor, very simple. Direct on raised grid at 350-375 for 1-1.25 hours. Crispy skin which is a key for me...
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Thing 1,
    Direct, raised grid at 350 for about an hour to an hour and a half. Season with Tsunami Spin under the skin and on top of the skin. Iffin you done have that, stores have Lawry's Perfect Blend Seasoning & Rub for Chicken and Poultry is good. I dry my bird real well, then get it all ready and put it in the frige uncovered for a few hours to dry out the skin. This helps the skin get crispy. We like pecan wood for smoke. [p]For leftovers, shred it up real fine, and add mayo and garlic/herb Mrs. Dash. Let sit overnight for a wonderful chicken spread. [p]~nikki

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    WDAN,
    That's CHICKEN magnet!
    G.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Thing 1, I do mine direct on the regular grill @350° dome. Skin side up for 30-40 minutes, flip over for 15 or so minutes to crisp-up the skin, and flip over again to finish to desired internal temp; usually about another 10-15 minutes..[p]For me the crispy skin is essential so, as others have pointed out, make sure that the skin in nice and dry before putting on grill.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    WDAN,[p]Regarding chick magnet: Just ask Joel Ferman.[p]TRex
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Leftovers? Hmmm . . . maybe I'm just a pig, but I often eat a whole spatchcocked chicken by myself. : )[p]TRex
  • wdan
    Options
    TRex,
    Now that you mentioned it, I remember a thread or two a couple of months ago involving Joel Ferman. I was brand new with my BGE at the time, but I seem to remember some pics where he was displaying his inventory of brews. I also remember thinking that this must be a very fortunate young man...when I was in college, the only variety of brews we had were results of whatever sub-premium stuff was on sale...including generic beer in the all-white can with black letters that said, "BEER." We really lived it up when Busch was on sale. I also walked five miles uphill in a blizzard to, and from every single class that I had...Oh geez, when did I become my parents? :~)[p]Does this guy actually have an egg on campus? I'm impressed!

• wdan
    Options
    TRex,
    This includes a shout to GRETL too:
    So, how would this work on campus?[p]"What's your major?"
    "What's your sign?"
    "I'm only here in this bar because I'm working on a psychology assignment."
    "Want to see my etchings?"
    "Want to see my Big Green Egg?"

• Thing 1
    Thing 1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thing 1,[p]
    Typical family support here... I ask for a Yugo you guys give me a Ferrari. Thanks For all the help ya'll !!![p]
    Vic in UT :)