Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Brick Substitute

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm dying to make pizza this weekend however I didn't make it to the brick yard to buy a few fire bricks this last week. Any suggestions on what I might use to sit my stone on. Are the bricks simply a heat resistant item to raise the stone or is the thermal mass critical?[p]Thanks, [p]Stuart
Highland Village TX

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Stuart, check your e.mail for Frozen Chosen's Alaska brick substitute..:-) :-)
    C~W

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Char-Woody, OK, now you've got me wondering.... I've tried chunks of ice; this proved to be a temporary solution at best. This leaves mosquito dung, moose antlers, and gold nuggets as surrogate fire bricks.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Frozen Chosen, [p]I will have to admit, I publicly goofed on that one. I meant Tanker Tim's in England who used small fired clay flower pots inverted for stands to set his grills and pizza stones on. Worked for him..:-) Thanks Tanker for a good one.
    Char-Woody

• Tanker Tim
    Options
    tc1.JPG
    <p />Char-Woody,[p]No problemo C~W. I do beleive the proper verbage is
    Swanky Eyetalian Terra Cotta. They work rather well for getting the stone up off the grill but don't provide as much heat sink as honest to god fire bricks. [p]One thing that surprised me was my pizza stone bought the farm with the bricks and not the pots? Must have been it's time.[p]
    TT[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Stuart,[p]Raising the pizza stone so you can easily slide the pie in and off the stone is the primary reason to raise it. I am not sure if you need the extra ceramic as well - I think you do but I have never tried to do pizza without either the plate setter/stone combo or firebricks/stone combo. Both work equally well and exactly the same (IMHO). I just received my new grid extender and I am going to do pizza tonight using it and the BGE pizza stone. [p]I beleive that only one layer of ceramic may allow the stone to heat too fast and over cook the crust before the toppings are finished. But - raising the stone up 3-4 inches will put it a little farther from the infared radiation source, the fire, and may keep itfrom overheating. We will see tonight![p]Frozen C. you can send me any of that gold you'al use to hold up the stones up there and I will be happy to test it. I guess a few pounds will do.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]-Tim's BGE place -[/ul]
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Tanker Tim, WOW! I'd like to see the Moose that layd those babys! I'm confused! OH! I git et!