Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks and Pork Chop follow up question...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thank you to all who answered me about how to cook pork chops (sorry about delay responding - work schedule keeps me from "forum-chatting"). I have a follow-up question: If I sear at 700-800, then do I have to take chops OFF grill, close egg down and wait till temp drops and then put them back in to dwell? In other words, if the temp is that high and I'm through searing second side, if I just leave them on and close the egg down to dwell, won't they burn from high heat? Shouldn't dwelling be done at lower temp?
Confused in Jersey

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    njjerry,
    I would take them off while the egg comes down to temp. Sort of a TRex method, if you will. OR You could leave them on with the vents shut to dwell. There will not be a lot of flame once you shut down the vents thereby cutting off oxygen. You also may want to sear at a lower temp, say 550-600, then it won't take as long to get to roasting temps (350-400).

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    njjerry,[p]I don't take ours off the Egg. I just shut down the vents and do my dwell. ****Just be careful when you re-open Mr. Egg after the dwell FLASHBACK will happen if you don't burp him a few times. Wear your welders gloves too.
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    njjerry,
    While I use those temps for steak, that seems a little hot for pork chops. I usually go for 600°-650° for lean pork. You can go directly to the dwell after your sear by shutting down both top and bottom vents, or take them off for 10-15 minutes and let the egg cool down before finishing them off. If you go directly to the dwell, sear the second side a minute less than the first side to even out the "doneness" on both sides, ie. 4 minutes sear on first side, 3 minutes on second side, then dwell for 3-4 minutes. This assumes you have chops that are at least 1 1/4'-1 1/2" thick.