Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt done 5 hrs early: HELP!

Options
Griller
Griller Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a 9lbs pork butt last weekend as a trial run for this weekend. Using the cyberQ it took 19 hours to finish off. This weekend we're hosting a party with the goal to serve the pulled pork at 4:30pm. I put the pork butt in at 7:40pm last night and at 8am this morning (now) the temp is at 192. This PB took far less time to cook than it's predecessor! I had planned to take the PB out around 2pm and triple wrap for a couple of hours before pulling/serving. It's entirely too early to do this so...

What should I do with the PB? Refrigerate then reheat? Triple wrap in foil and set in a cooler for 8hrs? (seems too long) Other??? Help!!!

Comments

• jpEGG
    jpEGG Posts: 61
    Options
    I pull mine at 200, so you might have another 45 minutes until it gets to 200. I've also wrapped PBs in foil and towels and let them rest in a cooler stuffed with newspapers for four hours and they were still really hot when pulled.
  • Griller
    Options
    jpEGG - thanks for the quick reply. I may just leave it on until 200F. Like yourself, I like to wrap in foil/towels and place in a cooler for about 2-4hrs before serving and had built that into the cooking time. Unfortunately my dilemma today is that if I leave it in the cooler for 4 hours, that only gets me to about 12:30pm and I need to serve at 4:30. :(
  • jpEGG
    jpEGG Posts: 61
    Options
    Understand...You're kind of in that 'tweener land. I'm interested to see how others would handle those four hours. On the bright side, the cook is done before the guests arrive and not the other way around. B)
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    Check out Celtic Spirit's advice here. He recommends pulling, slicing or pulling the pork, bagging and refrigerating to serve later. Boiling in ziploc bags works great, and letting the stuff sit for a while only enhances the flavor IMO. Best of luck
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I did my big cook. What I did on forum advice from a caterer it wrap them in heavy duty foil and put the in a low (150-175) oven until it was time to pull them. It worked great, the pork was moist and tasty and it keeps them at food safe temperatures.

Doug
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I did 4 butts and they were done 8 hrs early. I foiled ,wrapped in towels and placed in the cooler like everybody said. Man, I was really worried as this was the meat for a luau party for my club. When I took them out to pull ...after all that time!...they were still steaming hot. Dont worry, you'll be ok!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    12hrs is about right.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Take the temp on up to 200 at least and even 205 wont hurt, that will take a few more min, my butts never exceed 1 hr per lb. good luck.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    What did you decide to do and how did it turn out? :huh: I saw your post too late to be any help.I would have taken on up to 200-205 wrapped in foil and put in oven around 170 til I needed to serve. :)
  • Sauced Up
    Sauced Up Posts: 23
    Options
    Wrap it put it in a cooler. Remove it at your prefered time & pull. It will be fine...........
  • Griller
    Options
    Ended up keeping it in a cooler until about noon and then put it in the oven with the chickens I did yesterday at 175. Turned out just great. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!