Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepared mustard - why?

Geoduck
Geoduck Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see in several posts/recipes that one should rub meat, especially ribs, with prepared mustard. Can you tell me why? Does it do anything besides add flavor? Is the flavor really special??

Obviously a newbie...

Comments

• Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Keeps rub on the meat better..
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Helps to hold the rub and the flavor is not even noticed. Unless you are alergic to mustard you will not even know it was used. Great on beef ribs and roasts also.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I did an experiment.. 2 butts, side-by-side; one with mustard & rub, the other with just rub. End result was that the butt with just a rub was the winner. That's only my test and perhaps I'm missing something that matters... As an add on, Dijon mustard on racks of lamb ribs will change your mind forever! Perhaps I'll try the Dijon on the pork! 8 - ),,,
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    For my two cents worth, I think the mustard holds the rub on the meat and I also believe it develops a better bark on the meat. I use mustard on my briskets and butts and the bark is awesome. It really boils down to what taste you are trying to achieve.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi Geoduck,

The few times that I have used mustard I used it on Boston Butts for pulled pork. I like a good bark in my pulled pork and the mustard may have helped develop more bark. I used Gulden's Spicy Brown and really slathered it on, it certainly didn't hurt the flavor. To say how much it helped I would have to cook two butts side by side, one with, one with out. I would use it again.

Gator

*edit* I just read Rascals reply where he has done the side by side test, good job Rascal. I may have too revise my thinking. *edit*
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I hear ya.. Perhaps I'll try Dijon (as I edited my prior post) next time 8 - )
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've tried it and haven't found it to do much of anything to be worth all the mess, my rub stays on fine without it. -RP
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    I'm with AZRP.
    Mustard is messy.
    I use a dry rub.
    I keep it in the pantry, when I need some I mix it with a light olive oil to make a paste.
    The oil really helps the rub's flavor penetrate the meat.
    Cook right away but 24 hours in the fridge is best.
    Oily hands are easier to wash than yellow mustard hands.
    I use cheap throw away surgical gloves.
  • Ohatchee
    Ohatchee Posts: 56
    I also subscribe to the "rub hold" and "bark / crust" view on the role of prepared mustard. In terms of flavor, I'm not sure I really notice any impact -- unless dijon or some other invigorated mustard is used.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    It is my understanding that the vinegar in the mustard helps render the fat out. Vinegar is often used as a mop or sprayed on while pork is cooking.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    bah. vinegar tastes good. that's all. folk lore is often correct in general, but incorrect specifically.

meaning, the reason they give you may be wrong, but it still works out in the end.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    We aint cookin hot dogs. :laugh:
    Just Kidding. IMHO, prepared mustard's only valid use is on a hot dog or turkey sandwich.