Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which to Buy: Egg Nest & Mate OR Table?

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to take the plunge and buy a large BGE, and my first decision is whether to get the nest & mate or a table. The table ends up more (compact or regular size), but seems more stable. What are your experiences?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• GRILLEMARK
    Options
    Jim,
    You can buy a table or better yet use the free plans to custom make your own, what I did, to suit your particular needs and wants. Cost about $200.00 but you can add your own options. I added a grate hanger on one end for the extra grates and hooks for tools and am looking for a bottle opener. I also added an umbrella and a built in granite cutting board and paper towel holder.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    grillemark,
    Good advice, I'd like to see a pic. I getting ready to build one myself.[p]CWM

• Jim,
    I started with a nest. My wife got me a table for my birthday. It's well worth the expense. You have a place to put all your stuff.
    Rich

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    Jim,
    Check out this site. Lots of good info and table pics.[p]SB
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bge.htm[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Jim,
    I'd go with the table and don't waste the money on the nest and mate; you'll eventually want a table.
    If you're incompetent with building stuff like me, buy the table and customize it from there.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    grillemark, I'd like to see a picture also; sounds more like a small kitchen around the egg!

• SouthernMan
    Options
    grillemark,
    I have to get on the bandwagon and ask for pictures. I have been working on a table plan and am interested in what others have put in their designs. Pictures, please!

• Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Options
    Jim,[p]Jim,[p]Your profile shows you are in/near Atlanta and the BGE headquarters is the best place to purchase an EGG or accessories as I am sure you already know. You will save approximately $100 on the egg just not having to pay freight charges. I waited for over a year to get a table for my egg trying to find time to build a table. I looked into building a table but the cost for the wood I was looking at (white cypress) was only $50 dollars cheaper than buying the table for BGE as long as you go and pick it up. I eventually made it to Atlanta and purchased a table and it was my second best purchase ever(the first being my EGG)! So, my recommendation is to buy a table and cover from BGE HQ and spend that extra time outside grilling your heart away!!![p]matt
  • ranger ray
    Options
    byrdo,i would build a table...cheaper, more fun and provides you with a place to store the extras(i have only been egging about a month...and i have all kinds of extras, gloves, fire bricks, place setter, extra grills, tongs, pokers, ash cleaners, pizza stone and more...when i built mine i have an enclosed storage area under mr. egg). you always need a place to put your tools and food whilst cooking. i used rough cut pine from the local mill that i had left over from my hot tub/patio enclosure... each location is different and the final decision is up to you and your personal style...good luck! ranger ray

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Jim,
    Another consideration: get a table or make it for this egg, then when you get a second egg, its nest can cozy up to the table which will serve two eggs. Don't think that you won't consider getting a second one! Have fun.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Southern Man,
    For lots of good ideas..check out Naked Whiz's table gallery. Lots of nice tables and ideas.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]Table Gallery ala TNW[/ul]
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Jim,
    I have the compact table because that was all my dealer had at the time I bought my egg. However, if I had it to do over, I would get the large table. But if you also want a cover (and I think you do), make sure that the large cover will fit over the large table and egg. I ended up with a large cover for mine because the smaller cover would not fit the table.