Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burping the egg

Options
Grill Sergeant
Grill Sergeant Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read somewhere, to prevent "toasting" the gasket at high temps, remove the DW for a few seconds before burping the egg. Has anyone done this ? This is supposed to eliminate the flashback when opening. I have not tried this ! Any thoughts on this ?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yeah, done all the time.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Grill Sergeant wrote:
    I read somewhere, to prevent "toasting" the gasket at high temps, remove the DW for a few seconds before burping the egg. Has anyone done this ? This is supposed to eliminate the flashback when opening. I have not tried this ! Any thoughts on this ?

Open bottom vent and DW....wait 10 seconds for things to stoke a bit.....I then open dome and inch or two quikly and then all the way. I HATE FLASHBACKS...especially from the 70's............
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    LOL!! Those 70's flashbacks can be bad. :lol:
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Grill Sergeant -

The flashbacks are caused by the addition of oxygen to uncombusted gases inside the Egg. The way to make sure you have no flashbacks is to vent the gases before opening the dome - as Midnight Smoker says, open the bottom and remove the top for 30 seconds or so.

More casual Eggers who are also into cheap thrills will remove the top and lift the dome slightly for just a moment ("burping" the Egg). These are guys you can recognize at an Eggfest when you shake hands with them, as they usually have no hair on their forearms, and sometimes no eyebrows, either. The resulting flash through the top vent after burping is something to behold.

Bob V
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Yea 7th grade was a flashback nightmare.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Frankly, I recommend against burping the egg. Having a mini flashback exit the cooker between the gaskets will degrade them. I open the vents, let the gases in the egg burn off, then open the Egg just like normal.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I've been using TNW's approach since we bought our first BGE and I've never had a flashback. (That noise you hear in the background is me knocking on wood.)
  • Bear
    Bear Posts: 32
    Options
    Ah yes grade seven, best 5 years of my life!!!

B