Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bass-ackward steak

Options
Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The method for cooking steaks around this board has always been to sear first and then dwell or rest and dwell (T-Rex). Anyway I got to wondering what would happen if I did things a little different.
Had a couple of top sirloins in the freezer. After defrosting I gave them a coat of rub, back into the fridge till dinner.
Built a fire, direct stabilized dome at 250. Added a couple of lumps of hickory and threw the steaks on. I set the polder to alarm at 118. I did not turn the steaks during this part of the cook.
When the alarm went off I removed the steaks to a platter. Opened the vents wide and got to 750. Placed the steaks back on went for a 90 second sear on each side. Results was a very tender steak, nice marks on both sides, with a very nice smokey flavor. Wife and guests all approved, and told me to do it this way again.
The only problem I had was the steak wanted to stick on the grill, I think I will put a little oil on the surface of the steak during the rest period next time.[p]So if you want to try something a little different cook your steak backwards next time.

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Options
    basselope,[p]This sounds like a good trick to get a smokier steak. How long did you leave it at 250?[p]Thanks!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    basselope,
    sounds like a neat idea. . .again, how long at 250, and how were they inside? medium/rare/etc.?. ..[p]

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    basselope,[p]Cleaning really well and rubbing your grill grid with olive oil will also help keep the steak from sticking.[p]TRex
  • Tom Harmon
    Options
    basselope,[p]That's actually how Alton Brown recommends steaks and rib roasts be done..[p]tlhrtp

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    basselope,[p]I sometimes do this with frozen steaks. I thaw them by putting them in a low temp (around 200) Egg with some wood. I let it thaw for about 30-45 minutes. Then I take it out, rub it with whatever rub/seasonings I feel like using, get the Egg up to steak searing temp and cook it. I think I got the idea from Nature Boy.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    And I am pretty sure I learned that from Cat...and Spin comes to mind as being involved. Nice way to get some good smoke into the steak if you are lookin' fer that.
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Basselope
    Options
    I wanted to get a smoke flavor into the meat. I recall from experience (and from this forum) that meat only accepts smoke as long as the outside stays below a certin temp. So I set out to keep the meat below this temp for as long as possible.
    I did thaw the meat completly then seasoned it. I returned it to the fridge so that when I put it on it on th eegg it would accept smoke for as long as possible.
    When I put the steaks on the 250 degree fire they were on direct, and I had a polder stuck in the center of one. I did not time this part of the cook, I am going to guess it took about 20 minutes to hit 118 inside. These steaks were about 1" thick
    I let them rest only long enough for the egg to hit 725 (maybe 10 minutes) then back on for 90 seconds per side.
    The steaks had a very thin band of brown meat on each side, and the rest of the steak was a perfect reddish/pink what I would call medium rare.

• Basselope
    Options
    I kinda thought that somebody else with more brains than I have should have thought up this idea first, bit I had never seen it mentioned before.
    Sounds like a great way to thaw a steak.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    basselope,
    LOL. Just cuz somebody did somethin' similar to what you did, doesn't mean you didn't think of it![p]Anyway, a few years back, Cat and Spin passed on the word that a good way to get smoke into a steak is to put it in the freezer for a half hour to flash freeze the outside. Smoke for a while to thaw...without cooking....then cook as normal. Sear and roast.[p]Your method seems like it would have a similar effect, but has the advantage of roasting the steak first, before searing. Think I will try it on my next steak.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ