Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak at RD from Argentina

Options
TheGrillisGone
TheGrillisGone Posts: 133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to RD Monday and all the RO lump was from Argentina. :ohmy:

I know others from Atlanta area have been buying Ro there. I checked and that is all they will be carrying now.

Has anyone tried this lump and is it worth the savings?

Thanks!

Jim
Snellville, GA

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Most say it is 'sparky'. Why not invest a few bucks and give it a try.

If it works the way you use the egg and light fires then it is good.

Using MAPP to start, I would expect it will be a lot more sparky. Very high temperature cooks where the lump is close to flaming you probably will get some sparking.

I have used it and it is fine. I know it can be sparky and make preparations those situations.

You will have to try some of the lump yourself and see if it is of value to you.

GG
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Don't, no kinda way, buy this stuff from Argentina! It sparks like the 4th of July and keeps on sparking after it gets going......the inside of my egg was a disaster! Whatever advice you get regarding this lump pertaining to it's positive qualities, beware!!! You'll be throwing 8 bucks down the drain.....then, you gotta go clean your egg!
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Worse stuff I ever bought. It works OK, and just OK, on low temp cooks but anything higher than 250 or so it sparks for the entire cook. Nasty stuff that I will never buy again....wouldn't even take it for free. I have been getting my lump at RD for years and will now have to find a new source or buy it from my BGE dealer for way more money.
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Thanks GG,

Hoping for a 1st had experience reply.

Enjoy your post!

Jim
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    run in the other direction...

sparks like crazy at high heat, and makes a lot of ash. i did a pizza once that it rendered inedible. ash and bits of grit all over it

>>edited: couldn't find these pics. here's the ash it produced. the squiggle is a finger print to show how bad it was

Xash_covered.jpg

here's the grit covered pizza (all the black is grit, not pepper)

Xpizza_with_ash.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Thanks Egret,

I passed on it and now glad I did.

Let me know if you are tired of the WG lump. :P

Jim
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Thanks Egret,

I passed on it and now glad I did.

Let me know if you are tired of the WG lump. :P

Jim
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    egret, are you saying it damaged the interior of your egg?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    As already said...I wouldn't take it for free..our RD has had it for some 6 months now..and my stash ot the US stuff is running LOW...waiting right now to see what RO is going to offer me as a satisfaction gaurantee complainer...that Argentina stuff is gonna burn somebody's house down...
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Thanks Chuck,

I checked with BGE HQ yesterday and they will sell lump for around $20 for 4 or more bags. :whistle:

Jim
  • egret
    Options
    No, I'm not saying that! It splattered the entire insides of the egg, fire box, fire ring, plate setter and the total interior with small pieces of grit.....nasty stuff. Luckily, I didn't have anything inside I was trying to cook......
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Strike,

Oh man and that pizza looked great under the ash. :ohmy:

Jim
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    So being that I have three unopened bags of it, should I even use it for low temp or will it ash my butts/briskett/ribs?
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    WessB,

Sorry I missed your post.

Hope they will do something about this mess.

Jim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have used it but not on high temperature cooks.

I have not had the extreme negative results that have been expressed below, especially like stike's picture. stike's picture tells a lot. I just haven't seen that in my usage.

There is more ash but it hasn't been all over the inside of the egg (sides or dome) or on the food.

For me, it is usable for lower temperature cooks. I haven't used it cooking hotter than 450° dome.

I am not on a crusade here and it really doesn't matter to me what brand other folks use or don't use.

If you can afford 4 or 5 bucks, by some and give it a try. You may like it or my may not.

I need to put on some body armor admitting I use it once in a while. Holy Crap!!

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I'm not sure why everyone sees all the sparking and grit when I didn't see it at all in my review of the Argentina Royal Oak. It was the Paraguay Royal Oak that I found to be sparky and gritty. I'd buy one bag and see how it does and go from there.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    Options
    they won't offer much, unless you can really complain. i was talking to them via email, a couple guys, and they ultimately said to "give it another try". said some of their own guys compete with it and it's fine.

i don't need sparks and ash...

also. if it is fine, why is it so much cheaper than the US stuff in virtually the same bag? they know it's crap. but the majority of users probably don't notice it (maybe it behaves differently in other grills?)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    My review was similar to your experience. Whoever supplies RO with the charcoal from Argentina may be changing the mix from batch to batch. Oh well....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Can I come and hide under your wings?

I am wondering if there are different types of Argentina.

I have not experienced the extremes stated above.

GG
  • stike
    Options
    this was the bag that produced the ash and grit in the
    other photos

Royal_Oak_label.jpg
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    OUCH! thanks for the pictorial...
  • egret
    Options
    I have 9 unopened bags of it and they're going to stay that way~!!
  • egret
    Options
    OK, Doug, I'll be happy to send you a bag of this Sh$$ and see what you think then!! This lump is pure crap and I'd advise anyone to steer clear at all costs. I don't know what you were evaluating, but, apparently something's changed.......
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I got a bag of RO today too- not a bargain at 8.8#'s for 8.49. It says made in the USA and I'm told the red paper at the top of the red bag (where it's sewn) is the sign that it's USA as opposed to Argentina. ? Guess we'll find out if it's sparky.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use the SA RO all the time...while it does spark some at lighting I have had none of the other issues discussed here.. i have cooked butts, steaks, pizzas and everything in between...I like the USA lump from RO better but the SA has done all right by me...i agree with Whiz's evaluation 100%...just my 2 cents
  • egret
    Options
    I've got 9 bags I'll sell you at a hell of a discount!! In reality, though, it would appear that not all bags of RO lump from Argentina are equal......another reason for buyer to be aware......or, better yet, to avoid that stuff altogether!!
  • vidalia1
    Options
    John,

I think you are right. It really depends on each bag. In my 2 years of egging all I have ever bought is either BGE (RO) lump or the RD Royal Oak (either US or SA). I have some sparking with various bags but overall I have been pleased with all of the RO product no matter who they bag it for or what country...
  • Chula-Q
    Chula-Q Posts: 6
    Options
    What the heck is RD?
  • Cadillac Grill'n
    Options
    I don't have many nice things to say about the SA either. Any one use anything else they really like and have a good place to get it?

Cadillac Grill'n
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Chula,

RD is Restaurant Depot...it is where I buy lump, meat and other goodies..check to see if you have one in your area.