Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need pickling advice for banana peppers

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got some nice banana peppers coming in on our deck. Also some Jalapenos and Habaneras.

Anyone got a good pickling recipe for one or all?

They don't need to be "canned"... pickled and refrigerated is fine (actually preferred).

I wouldn't mind some garlic and red bell peppers thrown into to mix as well.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Thirdeye does some Bread n Butter jalepenos that look delish! ;) Or try here
    http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm
    Good Luck!
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Watch those habaneros they will light you up, the jalepenos will too. Nose and eyes.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I just put some up a couple weeks ago, use a basic brine of 3 cups vinegar, 1.5 cups water, 1 Tbs salt, and 1 Tbs sugar. Wash and slice the peppers and pack into the jar, boil the brine and pour into the jar. Put on the lid and let cool then refrigerate. They are ready in about 2 weeks, since they are not processed keep them refrigerated. -RP

IMG_1521Small.jpg
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I know it wasn't my question but I thank you for the response.
  • faithie999
    faithie999 Posts: 98
    this is a variation of the technique AZRP posted above. i have used it for years to make refrigerator dill pickles.

6 cups white vinegar
    6 cups water
    2/3 cup salt

mix to dissolve the salt. sometimes i heat it to speed things along, but i cool before using. i used to pour the hot brine over the small cukes but i realized that tended to cook them, which led to them losing their crispness after a couple of months in the fridge.

anyway, i pack the pickling-size cukes into clean jars (and for dill pickles, i use 1-2 heads of fresh dill, a dozen peppercorns and a large peeled clove of garlic), and fill to the brim with cooled brine. i keep them in the garage refrigerator which is set to just above freezing. they keep about a year without getting too soft and mushy.

i see no reason why this wouldn't work (without the dill and maybe without the garlic, to your taste) for either whole or sliced banana or other peppers.