Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Humongus Pork Loin Is Now Cookin

dayzed&confuseddayzed&confused Posts: 142
edited 9:28PM in EggHead Forum
Here are the little darlins' warming in the sun while I get the egg ready

MVC-249F.jpg

This is the only way to start the egg. A little under 1/2 of a chimney full.
MVC-254F.jpg
Here is all the wood I'm using for smoke. It is a piece of live oak with the beer for size comparison (and drinkin).
MVC-253F.jpg

The egg with its load of lump unlit.
MVC-255F.jpg

The egg after i dumped in the lit coals.
MVC-256F.jpg

OK i guess i'm at the picture limit. I can't seem to post anymore.
The meat went on at 4:22pm central dalight savings time, 45 minutes ago.
San Angelo, texas
·

Comments

• NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Good luck. I did a tenderloin last night (yum) and have a 9 lbs loin in buckboard bacon cure.
    ·
  • Back in the picture bisness! Here is the oak added.
    MVC-257F.jpg

Now w we put in the grate at the elevated position, direct cooking.
    MVC-258F.jpg

And finally add the little darlins, pork loins. 4 pounds apiece, one with Jamacian Firewalk rub and the other with Shakin' The Tree.
    MVC-259F.jpg

Close the lid, present temp just under 200, and time for another beer. I will bump up the temp to 250 for an hour, 5:22pm

MVC-260F.jpg
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • Well dang. Now I 'm not sure what to do. The plan was to smoke lightly for an hour around 250. which is what I did. Then bump up the temp to 350 and finish it off.

The picture is after one hour exactly, I flipted them over, dome temp was at 258, internal temp is already at 117. Now i'm unsure if I should bump up the temp to 350 because they look so good now. Any ideas?
    MVC-261F.jpg
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • I found a recipe at Dizzy Pig for curing canadian bacaon. I plan on trying that with my next loin, maybe next week. Let me know how yours does, I will probly have lots of questions.
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Try this URL: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html

I already did a butt - turn out great btw now I'm trying a loin.

There's lots of help here on the forum.
    ·
  • Cool, thanks.
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • Too late. I just checked the internal temps and one was 142 and the other was 152.
    Total cook time was a little under 1 1/2 hours! They are resting in foil right now so I will send a picture in a few minutes.
    San Angelo, texas
    ·