Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK the throw down competition

Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is all getting lost in to many posts :) we need to list the rules, like no extra equipment. just you, your egg and lump. any size egg, the judge or judges. how many ingredients? one pic must be of the raws, the cook and one with a newspaper for the date :whistle: what else? just one dish? or the whole meal? one dish might be better and then the cook can choose the sides? just thinking of time and $$ for some. and the plating pic is good. it will show the sides that are chosen. what else? who will draw the ingredients? how will we decide them. email the list to someone and then they draw 2 or three that have to be used in the dish?

Comments

• Sounds good. I tought you were going to take a swing at me :laugh:
  • forgot most important rule, nothing in the egg but basic grid. .. no platesetters, gurus, accessories, etc. . ..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Rules (for approval of the group)

• Must use Big Green Egg (only 1, any size). No other heat source permitted for any ingredient.
    • No accessories allowed except your favorite set of tongs, meat thermometer, & aluminum foil. (No Guru, plate setter, etc)
    • All Ingredients (including mystery) must be plated as a single dish(entree, appetizer, or dessert)
    • Mystery Ingredient & mystery spice/herb must play a prominent role in the dish.
    • Must be prepared July 24th - 25th
    • Submission should include two pictures, one of the food on the egg with current major Newspaper in view. The second plated. Please submit by 11:30PM July 25th. New thread will be provided at approx 2:00pm for submissions and those who wish to “vote” on their favorite.
    • Winner announced 7:00 – 9:00pm Sunday 26th

Must include the following:
    1. Mystery Ingredient: Beef, Pork, Chicken, or Seafood (Drawing 7/22/09)
    2. Mystery Aromatic: Basil, Cumin, Thyme, or Cinnamon (Drawing 7/22/09)
    3. Ingredient 3: Broccoli, Sweet Potato, Corn, OR Asparagus (Your Choice)
    And any other ingredients you wish
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no meat thermometer?

let's hope the first throwdown isn't a rib roast.

i think the "newspaper" thing is a little over the top. for one thing, after a while we'll have great looking pics of a number of cooks, but all with a newspaper jammed into view. hahaha not very photogenic.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Let's not regulate the darn thing into submission.

How about...the mystery ingredient is X. Cook it and post photos.
  • Bacchus
    Please feel free to make suggestions, add mystery ingredients, etc. Creativity is not one of my strong suits.
  • Bacchus
    Well Steven wanted more detail. :blink:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    zackly
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    I like this :) but two ingredients will make it a bit more challenging? and that would be good. we do not want to scare away anyone from doing this. and a thermometer is kind of a must, i think.... but nothing else. we want it to be cooked right :)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Wouldn't soup be eliminated or can one use cookware?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Bacchus
    Julie, can you take ownership of the mystery ingredient(s)however you see fit, and let us all know tommorow?

I added meat thermometer to exception list.

Anyone wanting to change something feel free.
  • Mainegg
    LOL pots and pans would be allowed funny guy! and I have been contacted by someone that wants to be a secret judge. LOL they can not be bribed that way. what do you think??
  • zipur74
    zipur74 Posts: 48
    Oh darn; I thought this post was going to be a new event at the next EggFeast. I was wondering if we had to throw a MINI or small. Since my shot put days I felt pretty confident that I could at least place in the top three.
  • Mainegg
    so we need two more judges. I don't think Neil is right as I want to cook too and he would never vote for me
  • zipur74
    zipur74 Posts: 48
    Oh darn; I thought this post was going to be a new event at the next EggFeast. I was wondering if we had to throw a MINI or small. Since my shot put days I felt pretty confident that I could at least place in the top three.
  • Gunnar
    Secret judge, hmmmm. Afraid there could be some wrath from the forum. Kidding, really hope this thing stays friendly.

Cookware is good. As for the rest of the rules, I like simplicity so the resulting posts will have a variety of dishes. We all win with new ideas.
  • Bacchus
    I trimmed it down for you two guys.

we dont really want "cookware" do we? The point here is being creative with the basics, right?
  • Gunnar
    I think cookware yields more options and results.....but the first thing is to keep the rules simple and get it started. After a few weeks we can start a thread to keep it as it is or what tweak. Maybe the rules change by season; right now it's summer and caveman style should probably rule. Of course it's summer for 7 to 8 months of the year here.
  • Mainegg
    LOL I think we have about 3 days and 2 hours left of summer!
  • Bacchus
    Where are we on the cookware subject? Any other regulars wanna weigh in?
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    since it is summer and there is caveman talk .. no cookware? this eliminates any sauces other than cold or store bought??? use of one pot for a sauce ??? or go buy it and put it on the grid? no pots..
    perhaps for this first time the chosen ingredients grid on the ring and what ever you can cook with tongs and a thermopen..

!!!!!! once the rules are established i suggest we ask the mods to "pin' them at the top of the page so we can all have easy access to the rules,,
    just my 2 ¢
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

Shouldn't it be a particular cut of protien or kind of fish or poultry.

Beef Sirloin
    Pork loin
    Chicken thighs
    Tipapia
    salmon
    lamb chops

etc

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Ron,

You started it! :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Julie,

I'll volunteer to put five ingredients in a hat and have Brianna draw them. I want to do the cook but I will exclude myself from the judging. That is if it is OK with everybody else.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Gunnar,

You had to rub that in didn't you.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Sounds Good Steven. Julie is running point on the ingredients, I hope.
    It's funny, I started the original post about cooking with NO accessories and evdidently alot of folks cook that way anyway. Others suggested we add ingredients and judges, now we are talking pots and pans? LOL. At that point it has nothing in common with my original idea.
  • Little Steven
    Gonna be hard to have rice or lentils in the mix

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gunnar
    I didn't mention looking for lost grids on the next snow melt. Ooops.
  • Bacchus
    How bout making a "bowl" from tin foil and adding your water a little at a time to your rice? I have seen much more creative stuff than that on this forum and various campsites.
  • Little Steven
    Ron,

I'm good. Show me the ingredients.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON