Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Humongus Pork Loin Is Now Cookin

dayzed&confuseddayzed&confused Posts: 135
edited 12:21PM in EggHead Forum
Here are the little darlins' warming in the sun while I get the egg ready

MVC-249F.jpg

This is the only way to start the egg. A little under 1/2 of a chimney full.
MVC-254F.jpg
Here is all the wood I'm using for smoke. It is a piece of live oak with the beer for size comparison (and drinkin).
MVC-253F.jpg

The egg with its load of lump unlit.
MVC-255F.jpg

The egg after i dumped in the lit coals.
MVC-256F.jpg

OK i guess i'm at the picture limit. I can't seem to post anymore.
The meat went on at 4:22pm central dalight savings time, 45 minutes ago.
San Angelo, texas
·

Comments

• NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Good luck. I did a tenderloin last night (yum) and have a 9 lbs loin in buckboard bacon cure.
    ·
  • Back in the picture bisness! Here is the oak added.
    MVC-257F.jpg

Now w we put in the grate at the elevated position, direct cooking.
    MVC-258F.jpg

And finally add the little darlins, pork loins. 4 pounds apiece, one with Jamacian Firewalk rub and the other with Shakin' The Tree.
    MVC-259F.jpg

Close the lid, present temp just under 200, and time for another beer. I will bump up the temp to 250 for an hour, 5:22pm

MVC-260F.jpg
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • Well dang. Now I 'm not sure what to do. The plan was to smoke lightly for an hour around 250. which is what I did. Then bump up the temp to 350 and finish it off.

The picture is after one hour exactly, I flipted them over, dome temp was at 258, internal temp is already at 117. Now i'm unsure if I should bump up the temp to 350 because they look so good now. Any ideas?
    MVC-261F.jpg
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • I found a recipe at Dizzy Pig for curing canadian bacaon. I plan on trying that with my next loin, maybe next week. Let me know how yours does, I will probly have lots of questions.
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Try this URL: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html

I already did a butt - turn out great btw now I'm trying a loin.

There's lots of help here on the forum.
    ·
  • Cool, thanks.
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • Too late. I just checked the internal temps and one was 142 and the other was 152.
    Total cook time was a little under 1 1/2 hours! They are resting in foil right now so I will send a picture in a few minutes.
    San Angelo, texas
    ·