Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why feet between platesetter and pizza stone?

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry to ask so many questions -

I've seen a lot of photos where the green "feet" have been used to support the pizza stone on the platesetter when cooking 'zzas.

Just curious as to why??

I am thinking that it prevents moisture build-up, but just want to confirm.

Thanks!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It prevents the pizza stone for getting too hot and burning the bottom of the crust. The air space creates a barrier between the direct flame hitting the platesetter and the pizza stone.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Exactly what Fidel said, but the feet are not your only configuration option. I use a plate setter legs up and then the grid and put the stone on the grid.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=621092&catid=1#
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Rod - with all due respect to you and others I have essentially egged a pizza every 2 weeks for 9 years now and have always had my BGE stone directly on my plate setter and have yet to ever burn, ruin or otherwise mess up a pizza. IMHO the spacer - whether they be green feet or copper elbows - may be beneficial when egging multiple pizzas, but for just one I totally and respectfully disagree...

PS - I should have added "legs down and no grate"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I agree...But watch for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ones :ohmy:
  • RRP
    Options
    excuse me - but isn't that what I just said?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I agree with you Ron...in most instances. I think a lot of it has to do with the temps you use when cooking them as well. I have burned one pizza when not using spacers, when I was cooking at 700* or so. I also think the length of pre-heating comes into play as well.

A common theme with me is "if it works for you, then go with it". I'm never the guy to say my way is the only way to do anything. I was just answering the guy's question as to why it is done.
  • RRP
    Options
    I agree, Rod - I've just always gagged at those posts of "my way or the highway pizza" and I guess I wanted to state my one pizza opinion which I calculate to honestly be no less than 234 pizzas on my large BGE to date.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ya, sept the only thing that could be gathered from your post is your vast eggsperience.

Cooking temp and just how long you allow it to stabilize would be helpful.

A spacer is safer :)
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I think it helps in several ways.

Yes it does get the pizza stone further away from the fierce heat of the flame - but when I put the stone directly on the platesetter and set the platesetter with the legs down, it seems to take longer to heat the stone up - presumably because the ceramic mass is twice as thick. We all know thinly sliced potatoes cook quicker...same idea here.

Putting spacers under the stone allows heated air to circulate around the stone and between the stone and the platesetter, this allows the stone to heat up more quickly.

But it also helps because it gets the top of the pie a little bit closer to the ceramic mass of the dome. That radiant and reflected heat helps cook the toppings.

I don't use the feet though - they're not tall enough for me. I set one stone directly on the plate setter legs down. Then I put three 1.5" copper plumbing couplings standing on end arranged in a triangle to support the second stone.

This arrangement gets the pie way up in the dome. Cooking at 650° - 700° a Neapolitan style pizza is done in about 3 minutes..maybe 4.

Yeah my gasket is dust...but my pizzas are getting better every day ;)
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    Rod - with all due respect to you and others I have essentially egged a pizza every 2 weeks for 9 years now and have always had my BGE stone directly on my plate setter and have yet to ever burn, ruin or otherwise mess up a pizza. IMHO the spacer - whether they be green feet or copper elbows - may be beneficial when egging multiple pizzas, but for just one I totally and respectfully disagree...

PS - I should have added "legs down and no grate"

i agree completely with RRP... I havent had my egg for very long but I've never come even close to burning my crusts.

legs down, no grate, stone directly on the platesetter, and I use parchment paper for the entire cook.