Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Acheiving High Temps

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Although I've been cooking foods the slow and low way occasionally I want to really sear a piece of meat. The BGE is touted as being capable of reaching temps of 800 degrees yet I can only seem to reach 575-600. (I use lump and keep both vents open all the way in my large egg). Suggestions?[p]Stuart
Highland Village TX

Comments

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Stuart, It should be getting higher than that. Check your thermometer for accuracy (1st). Then make sure you have only clean lump charcoal with the bigger pieces on the bottom. Holes in the grate must be clear. The metal trivet and other designs will give higher temps than the factory plate, but you should still get to 800F easily. With proper draft and fuel, the thing will sound like glass packs on a 427; a low rumble. Get some long gloves, vent the thing before opening, and be careful.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Stuart, Frozen Chosen gives good advice - also make sure the large square hole in the bottom of the fire chamber lines up with the bottom vent. Good luck!

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    I have heard mention of the metal trivets on the forum before. Is there any advantage over the ceramic one? Where can they be purchased? I did not see
    them available from BGE.
    I did like your analogy of the 427 with dual glasspacks. Oh, for the days of 427's and 454's. Are we getting older? NOT!

• Gfw
    Options
    trivet.jpg
    <p />Nu-Guy, check out the link.

[ul][li]Metal Trivet[/ul]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Hadn't looked at your site in a while but just noticed that you're doing a very nice job on a FAQ. Good work![p]Cornfed
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Stuart,[p] Just a few things i looked for when i started. These ideas
    came from everyone on the forum. Some may sound simple but
    they all contribute to the temp problems.
    1)Make sure lower firebox side opening, lines up 100% with the lower vent door
    2)Clean as much burnt coals from bottom of egg so as air will flow freely, this includes coals that may be between
    the firebox & the inside wall.
    3)Depending on the type of top you have ( slider or daisy
    wheel) I remove the daisy wheel totally untill i am going too shut the temp down.
    4)Clear small lumps from bottom grate,also stops good air flow.
    5)Even with damp charcaol. temp will eventuatly get to 800-
    1000 plus.
    6)Try to add more coals to see if this helps[p] Hope at least one of these things help. Frozen Chosen had
    other ideas as well. I have no problem with high temps.
    Good Luck[p] Earl
    [p]

• Gfw
    Options
    Earl, hope you don't mind - Icut your mesasage and posted it in my FAQ as "Getting a GOOD Fire in the BGE".[p]

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Gfw,
    Hey, appreciate the link. Looks like an item that I will want to put "in stock". I'm always interested in neat gadgets...especially that cost less than a hundred bucks!
    Nu-Guy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Stuart,[p]I haven't read all the other posts - so sorry if its the same as all the others. [p]You say you want 800+ deg - but you said you have both vents open. To go above 750 deg you have to remove the cap. Then if your not going up to 800 - add more fuel next time. You can't put in too much lump - it only burns what it needs and at 800 it will need lots. Personally - I see no reason to go above 800 deg. That will sear meat and melt aluminium.[p]Tim
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Stuart,
    Tim M hit it on the head. You have to remove the daisy wheel completely to get the higher temps. A word of caution, you have to control the temp with the bottom vent now or you just might get the Egg up to 1000F or 1100F. That will probably fry your gasket and may (just my conjecture) contribute to some of the cracks some of the people have been reporting. I think Tim was also right in that you don't need to go over 750F or 800F to get a really good sear on your meat.
    JimW