Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forum Debate: Mini vs. Small

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I started the evening pondering getting a mini for everyday cooks.

Its about 50-50 mini vs. small (i.e. featherweight vs. lightweight) in terms of recommendations.

Original dilemma is - large BGE is "not conducive" for every day grills for family of 2. Thinking mini is best for current situation, but I may be wrong. I"m a newbie after all. So far, recommendations are 1/2 mini, 1/2 small.

Hubby is willing to outlay cash for another egg, but wants to make sure we buy the right "next egg" - already named junior. He doesn't want more than 2 eggs. I mean really, there are only 2 of us and 5 Bulldogs. We'll consider "his and her" eggs, but the dogs are going to have to eat off what we've got.

THANKS!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The mini is a great steak searing machine. It can be adapted to indirect cooks, but it takes some work.

The small has many accessories already. Platesetter, cast grid, etc. It will be more versatile and also be portable.

I have both and prefer the mini for steaks and the small for traveling and versatility
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    Just go to Octoberfest and buy the small and you will save enough money that when you get home you can buy the mini. Then you both will have one and the dogs will have one.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Small. More versatile and still manageable for cooks for 2. You can smoke on the Small, not so on the Mini. Mini, IMHO, too minimalist. A steak or 2 and nothing more.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Small. I have large and small combination. It is just me an the wife during the week and the small is great for firing up quick and I have cooked full meals on it, plus all the accessories and not to mention using a wok on a small is great for 2.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you plan on cooking.

Steak, chops, a small roast, chicken, pizza, etc.

We have 6 in our family (2 adults and 4 kids) and we entertain quite a bit - as a result, we bought a large. It works really well.

There are many times when it's just my wife and I. In my opinion, the large is too much cooker and requires too much time for the two of us. So I bought a small.

I belive the small offers more cooking versatility and I believe there are more accessories available for the small.

And, we can still have left overs - just not as much as when we cook on the large. Ha! Ha!

Michael
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Small. The small is perfect for sides or small meal for two.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    The large and small combo is a great way to go. The small will go for 13 hours at 250 and almost anything else you would ever ask of it. Mine is jr as well. Both males. After the dust settles...then get into one a them minis. I know I and most others will eventually :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

This is going to depend on your needs, your family and your bigger cooks when people come over.

Put less lump in the large and use the lump from past burns.

Most will say get the small. For me, us I like the mini and use it most.

There is the wife an I and sometimes 2 to 4 grand kids. The mini is fast and just right - for us.

If I have more people coming I will light up the medium or large.

If transporting or camping will not require an egg, I would suggest you get a mini or medium.

Doing it all over, I think I would get 2 larges and a mini.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Red Egghead wrote:
    Hubby is willing to outlay cash for another egg, but wants to make sure we buy the right "next egg" - already named junior. He doesn't want more than 2 eggs. I mean really, there are only 2 of us and 5 Bulldogs. We'll consider "his and her" eggs, but the dogs are going to have to eat off what we've got.

THANKS!

LOL he doesn't want more than two eggs...... there are only two of you..... and 5 bull dogs??? I say an egg for each of you :) there are two of us, 2 maltipoos and 7 eggs :whistle: sick huh? but that is between two houses. we found we could not possible live with out egg food in FL in the winter.. you will seee.....
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Here's my take on it (and Nature Boy's, too):

Which Size Cooker Should I Buy

Whatever you choose, good luck!
    The Naked Whiz