Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Think I need a Mini

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I've had my large EGG a little more than two weeks.

Love it, to the total exclusion of the gas grill.

However, it's a bit much to fire it up for just two people grilling normal everyday meals *burgers, 1 steak, etc.* It takes a bit of time for it to cool off, and our weather is a little unpredictable - meaning we like to cover it up before we turn in for the night.

Am thinking I need to get a mini for the daily meals and save the large for family/parties/extended cooks.

Is this a crazy thought?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The mini is great. If you think that smaller smoking projects would also be in order, go with the small egg. There are many more accessories for the small.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    yes........ you NEED the mini!!! :evil:
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I too, have had my large for just a few weeks; I just picked up my new mini today! We are in the same boat - just two of us, and wanted flexibility to cook something quick and small without firing up the large.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Get the mini, you will love it. I use my large as you said, big cooks, parties, etc. But the mini I use 4-5 nights a week. Its more convenient, lights up fast, is portable and cooks great. Go for it.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    Oh, thank God. I am not crazy.

When my hubby said "just use the gas grill" I about had a meltdown. I mean, we spent a small fortune for the large.

Then I suggested a mini. I think it was my meltdown squared. But he did call to find out how much and said "maybe for my birthday. :P
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    If you think you need a mini...then you need a mini!
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    No Red. You're certainly not crazy. My small was approved when there wasn't room for anything but the turkey on the large.

I use the small if I need to do sides while I'm doing the main item on the large. Tonight, I had sweet potatoes on the small that were on for 1 1/2 hours. The steak went on the large at 600*. At times, I will use just the small if there is something I'm cooking that I don't need the large or both of them. If all I want is a sausage link for lunch between two pieces of bread, for instance, I will just light the small. It is really an advantage to have two eggs.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    You have a large and think you want a Mini? I have no idea what you are talking about.... :whistle:B) :laugh:

IMG_1547_1.jpg

Get one now! They are a lot of fun and will do more than you think. I have had mine a couple of months now and end up lighting both at least once or twice a week. I really enjoy it and no, you are not crazy, you are just an egghead like the rest of us! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    Have had my large for 2 mths and I am debating on a small or mini, going to eggfest in Oct. Leaning heavy on the mini. Like the idea of just grabbing it and heading to the river.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I portability is an issue, go for the Mini. If you don't plan on travelling with it much, go for the small. ( it is still economical as far as cooking without using a lot of lump) it'll give you more space and you won't need to get creative.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    Let me know what you end up picking. I am leaning toward the mini because we can move it around on our porch - closer to the house in winter, closer to the yard in summer.

My husband thinks I am crazy. But he's the one who says fire up the grill for everyday cooking. YUK.
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    I have no desire to fire up a gasser. I still have two of them which I may donate to people that don't know any better. :evil:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    The small is a much better 2nd egg. The mini is a perfect 3rd egg. :laugh: It's next, your the only one that knows though.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Red Egghead wrote:

However, it's a bit much to fire it up for just two people grilling normal everyday meals *burgers, 1 steak, etc.* It takes a bit of time for it to cool off, and our weather is a little unpredictable - meaning we like to cover it up before we turn in for the night.

Am thinking I need to get a mini for the daily meals and save the large for family/parties/extended cooks.

Is this a crazy thought?

I wouldn't freak out to much about covering your Egg all the time. I've had my large for over 5 years and have never had a cover on it! It looks as new as the day I bought it.....except for the inside!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    DO IT!!! ;) Then buy a small! :ohmy: ;)
  • LunaC
    LunaC Posts: 18
    Options
    Red Egghead wrote:

Is this a crazy thought?

I got a mini just a week ago with this same exact reasoning.

Last night I decided to try to sear a cheapo thin porterhouse and forgot to add more lump after cleaning it out so temps werent the best. So I say what the heck, lets see how well my MAPP gas torch works for searing :)

Well, I have to admit, it was a pretty darn good steak!!!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Not at all!

I started with a large and am not sorry I accquired a mini for just the 2 of us.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap