Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone smoked with sassafras?

Options
eggineric
eggineric Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A guy I know just got back from Liousiana and brought me back some sassafras wood. He says everyone down there smokes with it. He also printed out the wikipedia for sassafras. I got to reading it and it was banned by the FDA for food use in 1960. I'm thinking anything banned in 1960 MUST be bad for you. It says it causes liver damage and cancer. I don't know if the oil they get from it is used in food or what. I am pretty sure the smoke will have less potency than they used? Any help, suggestions, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

here is the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Eric
    I have also heard about the possible dangers of sassafras. I also heard cooking directly over the coals, or charring your meat can cause cancer. So I am pretty much screwed anyways.

However, I have eaten chicken smoked over sassafras, and have smelled the smoke. It is something special for the nose and tastebuds, and IMO is worth trying.

Have fun!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    A good friend in Arkansas sent me a few twigs a few months ago, along with some hickory and persimmon. He warned me that is is strong. He was right.

A little bit goes a long way, but it has a unique flavor and aroma. I used a twig about the size of a half a pencil on a whole chicken and was very impressed with it.
  • eggineric
    eggineric Posts: 81
    Options
    I have also heard all that stuff too. I think I will give it a try. It is aromatic when you cut it. He brought me a paper bag full. Prolly last me quite a while. Thanks for the input.