Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked trout and salmon

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a taste treat-[p]I was out at an apple orchard the other day, and asked the propietor if he had any applewood laying around. He motioned to a pile of trimmings and said to take what I wanted, so I grabbed some well-seasoned trunk wood and left with a smile on my face (I bought a bushel of Honey Crisps to make it worth his while). I took the wood home, and cut it into thin disks with my bandsaw (that wood is dense!), and put it into a pail to soak overnight.[p]I brined some brook trout and salmon this morning, and I just pulled off the last side of salmon a few minutes ago from the smokin' egg. What a taste treat - fantastic texture and smooth smoked flavor. The trout turned out absolutely perfect, but I had some flare-ups with the salmon, due to the oil content, and because I thought I had a suitable grid (and didn't), I had to place it on the main grid, But I saved the salmon in time before the flames licked it too much.[p]Fish never tasted so great![p]What do you folks use for a fish smoking wire grid setup? I would like to do a triple batch next time, for gifts at holiday time. Any suggestions?[p]MapMan

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    ribsrack.jpg
    <p />MapMan,[p]Target Stores sell these stackable cookie racks. You get 3 in the box for about $7. I'm showing just one here (only pic I had). Obviously half a rack of ribs here. The HD foil on the bottom provides the indirect cook and catches the drippings.[p]They are 10" X 14" and you can get all 3 into a large Egg if you remove the firering. I use these alot for large batches of salmon and 3 full filets are a piece of cake.[p]K~G[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    salmon.gif
    <p />MapMan,[p]I did this a few weeks ago on a fish grid. [p]Smokey
  • Smokey,[p]Where did you get the fish grid? How much $ should I expect to pay for it?[p]Thanks
    MM

• KennyG,[p]Looks like a great idea - I think I'll pick some up next time I get to Target. I plan on putting a lot of sides/fillets on, and since they are so flat, a rack like yours will come in handy - and low $ too. Might as well do a big batch; same time to do a few fillets as much as fillin' up the egg and doin' a lot![p]Thanks-[p]MM
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Mapman,[p]I think I found it at a hardware store (no where special). It's basically a porcelin coated round piece of metal with holes in it. I think it was about $10 -$15
  • KennyG,
    We're on the same page of foil here. I started off using one of my wifes metal pans as a drip pan and that caused some discussion if you know what I mean. Then I started buying the a stack of disposable pans at Sams but they are 5 bucks something for 5 or 6 pans. Last week I did exactly what you did, I used some high quality foil and made my own "pan". It was the right size etc since I knew what I needed and all of us know that can vary depending upon what you are cooking. Afterwards it was turned in to a "ball" and thrown away. Marty

• KennyG
    LAD,[p]I hear ya talking! I've gotten my hand slapped more than once for getting smoke stains on my wife's cherished cookware, especially the corningware casseroles. Never understood, it comes off with a little elbow grease hehehe[p]I now go through heavy duty foil by the mile.[p]K~G

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Hey, Mr. G, are you coming to Eggtoberfest? If you are, I'm puttin' your name on the Fogo de Chao list.[p]Jim
  • KennyG
    Yo Jim,[p]I wasn't planning on it but had a change of heart yesterday. I might just drive down and will decide in a couple of days. If I can make it, Fogo is a must.[p]K~G
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    MapMan,
    I have done a lot of trout and salmon on my large egg and while I like apple wood ok for it, I think alder gives both these fish a much better flavor. I smoke direct at 250 degrees for about one hour and use chunks of dry alker.

• SteveO,[p]Yes - I would like to use alder, but the species isn't native to this area, and I can't find it locally. Since using the apple, I have heard that outdoor/recreational sports places often have it for the sportfisherman customers. I think I'll call a few stores around town.[p]Thanks-[p]MM