Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE concern: Is it hard to get it at high temps?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've noticed from the forum that quite a few people have had difficutly getting their small BGE's to get into the searing temps (750+), even after they align the air holes and vents, etc. I'm considering buying a small BGE, but now I wonder. Any advice?

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    G-man,
    I can easily get mine in the 600* range and that's more than enough to sear some steaks. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the cooking grid is much closer to the fire. I've had mine only about 6 months and am pleased.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    G-man,[p]No, it's not hard, but the air holes need to allow air flow (fewer holes ... greater impact if one gets clogged with lump).[p]Smokey
  • Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    Shelby,
    I have a small and at first I had trouble getting it to high temps. I was not putting very much lump in it, due to the close proximity to the grid when filled all the way up. But then I filled that bad boy up and easily got 750* plus for searing steaks, and it is also quite easy to controll for low and slow. It is a great cooker to go along with my large. Hope this helps. Go ahead and get one, you will never regret it.
    Seth

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    G-man, it's a matter of airflow. The LBGE will get to 750°+ easily because you can get the needed amount of air through the cooker. The medium, small, and mini will have lower max-temps due to less airflow. You could get higher temps out of each cooker by forcing more air through the egg with a bellows or fan. This might pose other problems like ash in you food etc.

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    G-man,[p]The small is our first choice for cooking steaks ('course we don't have a mini, it might be even better). We have no problem getting 750. Once, I even wrapped the thermometer back around...oops.[p]Go for it...it is a great cooker.
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    CR,
    I think all sizes of eggs are capable of extremely hot temperatures if enough lump is used and assuming the egg is clean enough to have good air flow. I have had both my small and my large near the 1000 degree mark (accidentally, btw). I have had my mini up to 750+, but I have to add lump to it as it passes 600 degrees. It just take longer for the smaller eggs to reach those turbo temps.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    G-man,[p]No problem WHATSOEVER getting it to high searing temps, if you fill the firebox and give it time. I notice that the small takes a little longer to get there than the medium or large (we have all three sizes) but other than that, it works like a champ. Only time I've had difficulty getting to my target temp (with any of them) is when the lump is damp or the end of a bag and nothing but small pieces. Otherwise, it's easy breezy![p]Bottom line...don't hesitate! It's a GREAT little cooker and will do pretty much anything that the larger ones will do, while having the added bonus of being able to go camping, to family outings, ballgames, tailgates, the beach, etc. And, it's ABSOLUTELY the best for searing steaks![p]QBabe
    :~)

• Seth,[p]Thanks for all your advice guys and girls!!!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    G-man,
    It does take longer with the Small. I wish they had made the Smalls with a larger bottom ash grate, or just more effective open area. To accomplish the latter, you would always replace your ceramic or cast iron ash grate with expanded metal - I think someone around here has done that - that gives you more open area and thus more air flow.[p]I always use a small battery-operated fan. If I use enough lump, I can get above 600 every time, it just takes patience.[p]TRex (sad b/c I haven't been able to cook on the Egg in over two weeks!!)

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    psteak4.jpg
    <p />G-man,[p]Here's my small Egg approaching 1000° in preparation for a "Pittsburgh" style steak cook. With a clean coal grate and a full load of lump, high temps are easy to achieve. [p]This particular cook may have cracked my firebox but it still cooks after 2 years.[p]K~G
  • KennyG,
    Is the egg inside the garage?

• pivotizer,[p]No. It's on the roof-top deck. It's about 4 floors high. Why?
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    pivotizer,[p]It was when this pic was taken. My Egg collection is in the garage for the winter and I think this was early April in Ohio, still a bit chilly.[p]K~G