Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Romaine Lettuce

Options
otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I never heard of grilled lettece before this forum. I'm going to try it tonight to what its all about. Any suggestions?

Seasoning/ cheese/ cook time/ temp?

Ed

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    There are some nice pictures of this dish around somewhere?

Salad, Romaine, Grilled

A perfect appetizer for anything off the Big Green Egg.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Romaine Hearts
    Olive oil
    Parmesian Cheese
    Salt & Pepper

********Preparation Directions*********
    1 Cut the Romaine Hearts down the middle. Pull off any loose external leaves. You want a small tight bunch. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh parmesian cheese. Push some cheese into the folds of the leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and whatever spices you like. Put into the fridge to keep these nice and cold. Take out at the last minute.
    ********Cooking Directions********
    1 After grilling your meat, steak, etc., crank up the heat and flames in your Green Egg. Put the Romaine Hearts face up on the grill for 2 minutes, then flip over for a few minutes. It will make your grill a bit messy, so leave the heat up to burn off that cheese.
    2 Serve immediately. I dont add any extra dressing, but a bit of Italian or Remolaude dressing is nice. Enjoy!

Recipe Type
    Salad

Recipe Source
    Author: Patrick Weldon

Source: BGE Forum, Patrick Weldon, 2006/02/12
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSC_0026-2.jpg
    Season with Italian Dressing and Romono cheese
    DSC_0029-1.jpg
    Grill cut side down
    DSC_0030-1.jpg
    Then the other side
    DSC_0031-2.jpg
    Grilled Romain

Ross
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    "romaine lettuce" ...."thats not food, thats what food eats!!"
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    I am with Mad Max on this one.

"Lettuce - The other , other side" :woohoo:
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try it tonight. Thanks for the correction max. I’m so dependent on spell check it’s a joke.

Ross, I checked out your pic of the ham after I got home the other day. It looks great. Gonna try that soon.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    I'm sure it will work out Otis

Ross
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    That's exactly how I do it, except I use a creamy Caesar dressing. Like you, I had never even heard of it before, nor did it sound like anything I would want to try. Have done it several times since that first time, I bet you'll love it.
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    I like to freeze some red wine vinegar in a bowl ahead of time. After the romaine comes off the egg, top with fresh grated parmesan cheese, then scrape the frozen vinegar with a fork and sprinkle the shavings on the cheese. Got to eat it right away though, so the vinegar doesn't melt. We just pick it up and eat it rather than cut it up. The combination of the hot lettuce, melting cheese, and cold tangy vinegar work great together. Haven't had one complaint yet. FG