Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori question

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While watching the food tv channel awhile back, I saw Wolfgang Puck cooking Tandoori Chicken in a traditional Tandoor oven. The chicken pieces were whacked up into chunks, bone-in, marinated in a savory yogurt marinade, and skewered on LONG metal skewers (about 4 pieces/skewer) which were then placed point-side down right into the coals, leaving the meat above the coals by about 8 inches or so. The heat was intense and the skewers were removed from above after maybe 5-10 minutes. The Tandoor oven was ceramic, but didn't have a dome cover like the BGE. [p]So I'm thinking, really long skewers could do this perfectly in the Egg...the high temp could be maintained by doing 2 or 3 at a time, leaving the dome closed and inserting the skewers through the chimney. Any comments? Anyone ever seen REALLY LONG metal skewers? [p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Gretl, what would be the reason for the skewers? Couldn't you just put the chicken pieces on the grid in the BGE and cook at the temp that you desired?

• Gretl
    Options
    CR,
    The temp is supposed to be around 600 or higher. I've lost the hair on my arms more than a few times, and I just though since the pieces are not large and the temp fluctuates when the dome's opened and closed, that the long skewers would be a good alternative. Just a thought.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Prof Dan
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Middle Eastern markets often have those skewers -- they are flat stainless steel jobs. I cut them to the length I want with a hacksaw, and I put a sharp point on them with a grinding wheel [so they poke through the chicken more easily].[p]The tandoori marinade is great -- here is the technique I use: I put the grid at a low level -- not raised -- and then fire up the Egg to about 500. I put half-bricks at the edge of the grid so that the ends of the skewers rest on the bricks, keeping the chicken off the grid [so it does not stick]. I cook the chicken about seven minutes per side with the lid closed, turning the skewers once with a very long bbq tongs. I also wear welding gloves.[p]Good luck!
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Gretl,[p]If you search the archives, there's a post somewhere about cooking tandoori by hanging skewers from the top vent.[p]I haven't tried this method. I like Patak's tandoori paste as a marinade.
  • Gretl
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Honestly, after all this Tandoori talk, I'm so hungry I'm ready to bag work, run home, and start cooking. But now that I think of it, that just about describes every day!
    G.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_11_9919_27_03.jpg
    <p />Gretl, check out the link. There is also a recipe at the top of the page

[ul][li]Tandorri Chicken [/ul]
  • Gretl,
    Hi I bought BGE to use it in place of tandoor. Tandoori chicken can be successfully cooked in BGE. Here are soem tips,[p]1) Buy "Shan" brand tandoori spices from Indian grocery store & follow the instruction except only use 1/4 of spices suggested otherwise it will become very hot.
    2) Marinade at least for 24 hrs. The reason it is cooked in Tandoor at very high temperature is it has been marinated very well in yougurt & raw papaya paste.
    3) You can use regular thin skewers but use two instead on one. This method works very well for chicken thighs. Use bricks to support skewers on both the end. Typically tandoori chicken will not have grill marks. [p]On the different note: I think BGE manufacturer should make an attachment for making Naan. If you are interested in making naan using BGE here is the link to showing my experiment. It worked very well http://mywebpages.comcast.net/schokshi/naan_bge.htm

[ul][li]How to make Naan with BGE[/ul]