Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help/suggestions for a "Choice" entry in a BB

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will be in a BBQ comp in a couple of months and one of the categories is "choice". It can be beef, chicken, pork or seafood. I'll be in the amateur division and we will have to turn in ribs, chicken and the "choice". I
have the ribs and chicken down (I hope.....).
......should I stick with a meat? I would think that the judges will be sick of the basic stuff and would love to have there palates tickled ith something a little more "lively". Then again, I think some of the judges will be KCBS schooled and their palettes are a little more narrow....I guess?

Anyway, I would love to start practicing some of the dishes soon! Thanks for any input. Paul

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If this is for the Backyard Division at a KCBS sanctioned competition the Judges most likely will be celebrity judges. Local prominent town folks, sponsors,kin of the sponsors, the sponsors mistress etc etc.

Stick with the meat. Go for the wow factor. Don't spend more than the prize money. In the "Pro" division we see a lot of seafood dishes winning. Beef follows. Combination beef and seafood dishes do well too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never been to a comp, but something simple is shrimp lejon. been using proscuitto lately instead of bacon and the more horseradish you can get into one the better. never made the roumalade that goes with them but it probably makes them even better. do a google search, basically horseradish stuffed into big shrimp, wrapped in bacon and baked at 350/375 til done.easy and simple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    He doesn't want to kill the judges palate. If he makes it too hot they WILL score him down. Plus most judges believe that BBQ needs to be SWEET.

Look how sweet Blues Hog is and it's the sauce of choice at Competitions.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i guess you could always add honey to the roumalade :laugh: i dont find them hot, but i do like the combo of shrimp and horseradish, did i use enough horsradish on this shrimp and cheese melt :whistle:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=592393
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

That Shrimp Lejon Cheese Melt looks awesome Fishless but then I don't always mind torching my sinuses. LOL, must be sort of like snorting MAPP or making ABT's out of Ghost peppers. :evil: :blink: :blink: :pinch:

But I digress and great minds think alike, I was wondering about just good BBQ Shrimp Wrapped in Bacon. I don't know how much work you can have done ahead of time, Cleaning and devaining shrimp can take time depending on how many you have to do. It's also best to start with good quality bacon that is already partially cooked so you don't over cook your shrimp. You could go with your Blues Hog sauce, maybe spike it just a little with horseradish. Do them on skewers and alternate them with chunks of fresh pineapple and half a maraschino cherry. Grill for about 3 minutes a side. Serve them straight up or on a bed of rice. Think how good practicing would be!

Gator

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Thanks all! I was thinking of going with some type of shrimp dish, as it will be be FULL swing shrimp season here at that time! I keep on looking out for suggestions and report on how we made out. Thanks again!