Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon tonight

Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love the way Salmon cooks on the BGE. I have tried various ways and cooking it on a cast iron semi circular griddle seems the best way for us. I cook it at 225-250 grid temperature indirect. I put on some Mrs Dash lemon Pepper seasoning, some salt, and some turbinado sugar. Today I used some cherry wood. Pulled it at about 140 degrees and it was perfect.

I had the camera ready this time. Here it is when it went on. An hour later it was done but I didn't take another picture since it doesn't change very much.

DSC06175.jpg
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I have never done fish on the EGG yet. Can I use a Cedar Plank ? Would the fish be cooked the same way you did the salmon ?
  • Shiff
    I've never used a cedar plank. I'd rather flavor the fish by putting in some wood chunks.

I've tried several different cooking surfaces, but most were very difficult to clean due to the fish sticking in the holes. This cast iron griddle does a great job and is very easy to clean.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Plank away, just need a little higher temp. 350ish would work.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    My salmon was good too. Glad you enjoyed!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • gcldr
    gcldr Posts: 3
    Good looking fish. Where did you get the semicircular griddle? Thx.

Curt
  • Shiff
    I bought it at Fred's BBQ, but I think I saw it on the BGE web page. Lodge may even make one. It fits on 1/2 of a large BGE grid and leaves the rest for something else.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Salmon also does wonderfully with std setup, plain old grid level at 200ish.