Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock chick

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be cooking my first spatchcock chicken tonight. Does direct or indirect cooking work best?[p]Thanks

Comments

• lovethatbbq,
    I do both.........indirect with water pan and direct on raised grid, I find they are very close when finished but the direct one's skin comes out a little crispier

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    lovethatbbq,
    Direct, raised grid, 350, don't flip, season/oil under the skin. Just great every time.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I always do it direct, and I've never used a raised grid.
  • char buddy
    Options
    Gretl,[p]i tried several versions of your chickens last summer and I gotta say - they rock. [p]How's the boy, his dad and your band?[p]
  • countrydoc
    Options
    lovethatbbq,
    I agree with the raised grid at 350 for an hour method. A dose of olive oil all over, a good dusting of tsunami spin, and a few sprigs of rosemary under the skin makes fine eating. Regardless of how I have done them, they all have tasted great!

• Gretl
    Options
    char buddy ,
    Thanks for the kind words! The kid and the Old Man are just fine. We'll be in Bethlehem on Sunday for the Celtic Classic; Dan's in the fiddle competition. Life is good. I trust all's well in your world??
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• ChefFubar
    Options
    Gretl,
    Do you use a drip pan? I plan to put on two at one time, and would like to try two different seasonings - what do you suggest? This will be on a large BGE.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chef Fubar,
    I think by definition, direct means no drip pan. Otherwise it would be indirect. I regularly do 2 chickens at a time with different seasonings. I use 3.5 - 4.0 pound birds and they fit easily on the grid.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • ChefFubar
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks! I was concerned about dripping fat, flare-up, soot, etc. But direct it is. I don't yet have an extender, do you recommend one for two birds at a time?
    What types of seasonings do you recommend, first time out? I would like to try two different ones--not opposed to pepper and most herbs.

• Gretl
    Options
    Chef Fubar,
    Naked Whiz answered the question. No drip pan. I do the whole cook cut-side down, and usually paint a glaze or add barbecue sauce after the skin's browned nicely. Let it rest, covered, for about 20 minutes before serving.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chef Fubar,
    I made a raised grid with bolts and washers. That way I have the full 18.5 inch grid for the chickens. One of my favorites is Montreal Steak Seasoning. Also, Tsunami Spin.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • ChefFubar
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I can see where a raised grid will be very handy. I read the recent thread about using stainless fittings, which are readily available here in the Houston Area, so I'll try my hand at assembling one.
    Thanks for the seasoning info. I actually have some of the Montreal Steak seasoning, but will have to prowl the shops for Tsunami Spin. I jumped the gun and tried cooking a single spathcocked chicken using a injectable concoction; the parts farthest away from the injections were very good! I'll try doing it right this coming weekend.