Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ / Pork Butt Update

Griller
Griller Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First CyberQ-II Cook and Pork Butt Update

Using the advise from rosros and prior posts I used the CyberQ to bring the Egg up to temperature. Unfortunately, there was a fairly good breeze that I think was making its way into the egg somehow. After hitting my desired temp of 225, the Egg kept on going...230...235...245...255...267! The top of the egg was completely closed and the fan was obviously not running. I took the daisy wheel and fan vent off and replaced with the ceramic top and completely closed off the vent below. It took about an hour for the temp to fall down to 225 (gotta love the Egg). I replaced the ceramic top with the closed daisy wheel (only a toothpick's width was open). I carefully re-installed the fan vent and fan. 30 minutes later the Guru was maintaining the Egg temp. :)

I went to bed and checked on the egg at 6am. The egg was 225 and the PB was at 157F. At 9AM the PB was at 163F.

All in all I've had to worry and tend to the Egg a little more with the Guru but only because of the initial over shoot. I'll post pictures when the PB comes off!

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Congratulations on the CyberQ. You get used to it and you will have no worries. I have the DigiQ and love it. I close the top vent all the way when cooking low and slow with mine. The Egg is far from air tight and the 10 CFM fan has plenty of power.

Gator
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 94
    My husband,Mike,(Tool Junkie), posted on 5/17/09 about how he was able to follow the cyber Q via the bedside during the night using Adobe Air. Check out the post, subject: Cyber Q Wireless Control from 5/17. He could just lean over in bed and hit a key on the lap top and read the dome temp. It was very cool.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    deltadawn wrote:
    My husband,Mike,(Tool Junkie), posted on 5/17/09 about how he was able to follow the cyber Q via the bedside during the night using Adobe Air. Check out the post, subject: Cyber Q Wireless Control from 5/17. He could just lean over in bed and hit a key on the lap top and read the dome temp. It was very cool.
    You're more tolerant than most! In the middle of the night that's only cool compared to getting out of bed. I clearly prefer my sleep to my cooking.
    During the daytime - that's cool!