Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Scotsman has his Mini!!

Options
FSUScotsman
FSUScotsman Posts: 754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got it Tuesday, but wasn't able to use it till tonight. I know, I know, but I have other eggs that I got to use before tonight, so I didn't have to be too impatient. I wanted to be able to take my time and make observations as well, good and bad. First this!!

e9866806.jpg

First the good
Wow, is it small and light. I can take it anywhere.
It doesn't take a lot of lump.
It gets up to heat IN A HURRY!!! In about five minutes it was over 500 and climbing. Shutting the slider stopped it though.
This thing cooks wonderfully. I had a steak tonight that was total perfection. I think the control is easier to maintain than a large.

Now the bad
The hinge drives me crazy. I couldn't get it to come open all the way without moving the Egg.
I don't like the stand at all. That goes along with the hinge. I would open the Egg and it would rock. If I pulled a little it would tilt. Maybe after I use it some it will loosen up. Maybe a shot of WD40 will help?
The cooking grate is a lot smaller than the opening for it, thus it slides around. It needs to be a half inch larger.

Conclusion
I REALLY like it. I may have complaints but I still like it a lot. I asked in an email a few days back about getting either a mini or a small for my dad. The price difference here is $200. Even if the price difference wasn't that large knowing what I do now I would still get him the mini. He will do just fine with this. I'm going to do a chicken to confirm it Monday night, and if that goes without a hitch I'll order it for him on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for your help. My next thing is finding myself a different stand now. I guess I could set it between my two eggs on my new table but that still wouldn't solve the rocking problem.

Comments