Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas in July (and the weekend cook to follow)

Griller
Griller Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife was playing Christmas music this week to try to take her mind off of the 104F days we've had in Texas. Seems kind of fitting since Santa came early this year and brought me one of these:

IMG_9833.jpg

I was so excited I ran out and bought a 9LBS pork butt and ribs to do this weekend. Problem is, I have little idea how to use the crazy thing! :woohoo:

I've had my Egg over a year now and forced myself to wait to get a DigiQ/CyberQ until after I've done at least 5 pork butts / briskets. Flame me if you like but I wanted to learn how to do it the old fashioned way before getting the automated assistance. (How else am I suppose to appreciate getting a worry-free night of sleep when doing an overnight cook?!?) Any tips for a CyberQ newbie looking to do his first (assisted) PB?

Comments

• Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Thank you so much for posting this! I have only done them the "old fashioned way" and cannot wait to learn from you!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Congrats..and you should be commended...I preach it to all the post about getting an egg and a Guru..that they should absolutely learn how to use the egg alone first...the BGE has been cookin lo N slo overnight for MANY years before the Guru was even invented...learn to use it, then get the power windows...
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I agree with your logic ;) I've only been eggin for 5 yrs,but I'm glad that I learned how to do it the "old fasion way",first.I thought about getting one of those at one time,then I realized that I could get a mini instead :cheer: :P I guess I'm one of the few guy's that still enjoy doing it "the old fashion way" :whistle::blush: Congrats on your new toy ;)
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Nope, I'm with you and still get up every 3-4 hours. More like maybe every two hours, but I don't sleep solid and haven't for years. There are still a few of us.
  • To each there on. We all have different ideas for our toys!!! Egging does consume you....
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I agree completely,toy's are toy's,and we all have different ideas as to what we want ;) Personally,I enjoy playing with the egg,and keeping an eye on it,although,I do most of my long cooks by starting them early in the morning,then checking it all day(while working in the yard).I won't leave the house while there's a fire going in my eggs(well,maybe for a beer run) :ohmy: :lol:
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Get the cyber ready to go. Plug it in and set the pit temp to 235 and food temp to 195. set ramp on, set hold 200, set lid on.

Clean out the fire box, load full with lump. lite 4 lumps and place on top. add some wood chips at this time. you want to start a small fire, let the guru build the fire.

put the adjustable top on the lid and open the width of a toothpick. daisy closed.

put on the placesetter with legs up. add the drip pan. add the porcelain grid. attach the grid probe to the porcelain grid. visually make sure that the temp probe will be 2inches from the meat. drape the probe wire across one of the placesetter legs and out the dome (avoid direct fire) and attach to pit1 input

attach the fan and adjust the damper to no more than 1/2 open. attach to fan input.

soon you will hear the guru start the fan

insert food probe into the butt.

when the egg comes up to temp, insert the butt. drape the probe wire across one of the placesetter legs and insert into food1.

let the guru do its thing. if the temp rises above the set pit temp, close the fan damper down a bit.
  • Griller
    Griller Posts: 88
    Thanks for the post, this was exactly what was missing from the instructions! :)