Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 ribs vs carwash Mike?

Options
giantwing
giantwing Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Just noticed post on ribs below. I always do carwash mikes ribs but they dont take 6 hours.
Is the 3-2-1 way a better way?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The 3-2-1 technique is actually for belly ribs, and Mike's technique is for back ribs. The 2 hours in the foil would really tenderize back ribs. Probably over tenderize them. You may not even be able to get the rack out of the foil in one piece.

When I use a foil step on back ribs 45 minutes to 1 hour is what I prefer.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    Is foil necessary?

I don't think so. I prefer eating the meat off the bone instead of having the bone pull completely free.

Here is the "method" I have come to like

@225 grid
    3 hours flip
    1 hour flip
    2 hours

Based on color, shrinkage, and flexibility I kick the temp up to 275 grid and finish with sauce if requested for 20-30 minutes.

After the first 3 hours I spray with a 50/50 apple juice and apple cider vinegar.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The way you like them is best.

Mike
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    i was just curious. I have done them your way all the time and always good. It just seems people cook them longer than your recipe says to do it. I never know if I have done them long enough
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    Do you cook direct or indirect? Do you use any juice or water in the pan if you do use indirect?
    Jim
    JCinGA
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Whatever method you decide you like the best...reality is we are cooking ribs..not baking a cake or a loaf of bread...no 2 racks are exactly the same nor will they ever be perfectly done based on a clock...they are done when they are done..and only you can decide which you like best...2 hours in foil is WAY to long..experiment..then decide..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I prefer the no foil method. I go 4 - 5 hours at 250. Usually I dont even open the dome until the end when I apply a layer or two of sauce.