Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much Lump do I REALLY need?

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, being a newby to the forum and with only 4 burns (in less than 7 days) under my belt, I am curious.....

How much lump charcoal does a true aficianado run thru in a month?

Our distributor said 1 bag would last 1-2 months. We're half thru our first bag and I'm seeing people cook on their BGE's daily.

I want to make sure I'm fully stocked for winter!

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I get nervious when I have less than three bags in the house.

I don't have any trouble getting it any time during the year.

IMHO there are other good lumps that are more cost effective than BGE.

Don't get me wrong, BGE is fine lump, but they are very proud of it.

My current favorite is Ozark Oak, but I have no problem with Cowboy either.
  • Go Bucks!
    Go Bucks! Posts: 53
    Options
    Lots. Go buy as much as you can store! You should see the pictures of what folks have in there trunks, garages, basements, etc.

Have fun
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I use between 20 and 25 20# bags a year..a bag lasting 1 -2 months is not realistic..depending on what you are cooking
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I just bought a 54 bag pallet in Yellsville Arkansas.I do have room to store it but I went through over 400 lbs. from October thru February.I'll average 100 lbs. a month.Maybe more. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My 54 bags were OO.$3.00 a bag cash for the 10 lb bags picked up at the plant in Yellsville! :woohoo: :whistle:
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Most stores don't offer lump during the winter around here so I usually have 25 to 30 bags stored in the garage. I stack them on some lath to prevent the bottom from ever getting wet and go 6 feet high or so. Usually have quite a few left over come Spring but gives me a secure feeling throughout the long winter months.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Most stores don't offer lump during the winter around here so I usually have 25 to 30 bags stored in the garage. I stack them on some lath to prevent the bottom from ever getting wet and go 6 feet high or so. Usually have quite a few left over come Spring but gives me a secure feeling throughout the long winter months.
  • Magnus Viridis Ovum
    Options
    I heard that "a bag lasts 1-2 months" line from our distributor as well. I suppose if you only grill twice a month or so you might. I cannot imagine having an egg and only using it so rarely.

I use mine at least 4-5 nights a week. Sometimes a quick burn, sometimes a long smoke. I go through about 60 pounds of lump a month.

The BGE brand is as good as it is spendy - save it for the long smokes. I use Mali's Gourmet for my daily cooking. It burns hot and produces little ash.

Find a good local source and load up - it doesn't spoil.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Eight years ago when I bought my first Egg, I was told that a 20 lb bag of lump will last 2 months, grilling a few times a week. Obviously, this is absolute rubbish, yet the myth is still pervasive. Marketing myths die hard, I guess. You will use what you use, and it will be much more than 1 bag every 2 months if you cook very much.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    For what it's worth I'm a little over two months in and on my 6th bag of lump. I cook between 3 (bad week) and 6 (good week) times a week.

Doug
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    We went through 45#'s in a week camping and at the most there were 6 people we were feeding....I keep about 10-12 bags at any one time at home...
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    My local Wally World sell 10# bags of Royal Oak for $6.37 per bag. I stocked up with 10 bags back in the spring and still have a few bags left. Royal Oak sells their lump to BGE, which my local dealer sells for $20 per 20# bag - much higher price for the branding!
  • Tony S.
    Tony S. Posts: 114
    Options
    I have heard many times that Royal Oak sells to BGE. But, is the Royal Oak the same thing as the BGE Lump, or is the BGE lump the better quality?
    Manitoba, Canada Large BGE
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    Options
    Thanks to all that responded. I guess I need to go and get a few more bags - duh. We're 1 week in with 4 burns under our belt. This bag stands to last thru the weekend.