Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Makin Bacon...

Florida Grillin GirlFlorida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,371
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made my first Buckboard Bacon, thanks to all the great instructions I received from Thirdeye's website and also Pork Butt Mike. It was easy and came out great.

First, cured 2 8lb. pork butts in Hi Mountain Cure for 10 days, in ziploc bags, in a 40 degree fridge, turning over every other day:

P7100824.jpg

After the 10 day cure, I rinsed in water for 6 hours and let it sit in the fridge on a rack overnight. I rubbed them liberally with Dizzy Pig Ragin River (not in Thirdey's instructions)

P7120833.jpg

On the egg they go for 3 hours at 225 dome with hickory

P7120835.jpg

I let them get to 150 degrees internal, which took 3 hours exactly. Took them off to rest. Wrapped and refrigerated overnight.

Now for the fun part - slicing

P7150890.jpg

Sliced some thin and some thicker

P7150893.jpg

Now the really fun part!

P7100820.jpg

P7090798.jpg

P7100801.jpg

It has a great smokey flavor, with not much fat. The thin slices cook up like bacon, the thicker ones are like canadian bacon. What a great aroma they have while cooking.
Now the sealing and storing part:
Doesn't look like much is there when you suck all the air out. But believe me, that's alot of bacon there!

P7160900.jpg

I will be digging up all the recipes I can find that have bacon in them, any suggestions are appreciated.

No more store-bought bacon for me!

Faith
Tampa

Comments