Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cholesterol level question

HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I gave blood and did not fast prior. They told me my cholesterol was 220. If I fasted would it me lower.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i taken the test either way and i never noticed much of a difference. i think your going on meds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I'll just start exercising
  • fishlessman
    mines low, but it drops even lower on a strict atkins diet. i dont think exercise will be enough to get it to where a doctor will be happy. did they do a full test, high triglicerides is a sign of a thyroid problem. we had a vegetarian working here that biked to work 25 miles each way with the worst levels ive ever heard of, off the charts so its not always food and exercise.
    fukahwee maine

• BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    It probably would have been lower if you fasted for the prescribed 12 hours before the test. At any rate, a fast is needed before the test to make sure that is as low as your cholesterol can be.
  • fishlessman
    i did find this, not fasting only increases the readings by about 4 percent max. not really that much
    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/3173.html
    fukahwee maine

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    My last blood donation I came back at 192, but i had just eaten beforehand too.

The only reliable reading is to have a fasting blood draw done by your doctor. The breakdown of HDL and LDL is more important than the overall number anyway.
  • My understanding is that exercising will not bring your bad cholestrol (LDL) down but it will bring your good cholestrol (HDL) up. I have to watch the fat intake myself. Basicly if it taste good, it's bad for ya. :ermm:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You have them backwards.

LDL = bad cholesterol
    HDL = desirable cholesterol
  • Oops your right. fixed it.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Wouldn't know it by what I eat but mine just came back.
    LDL 73
    HDL 41
    CHOL 126
    Guess I'm lucky.
  • Good genes! :laugh: You are lucky, I have to eat the good stuff in moderation. :angry:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I agree with Fishless. I worked in a building with a nutitionalist that is an international bike racer. The worse levels any one can have. She is a veggy eater to. I however,drink and an exsmoker of 27 years and only been exercing 2.5 years. Great numbers in htat departement.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • I agree with Fishless as well. My wife eats the same things I do and her numbers are great. I guess I just got the bad genes. :(
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hey HungryMan,

Congratulations on donating blood. I donated yesterday starting work on my second gallon. LOL, I had the best nights sleep since the last time I gave.
    My cholesterol has always been pretty good but my triglycerides always ran a little high. This is a no no for a diabetic so I take a statin (pill) and don't worry about it.

Gator
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I could not get mine below 220's so dr. put me on simcor. Now I am at 133 total.
    Good living through chemistry.