Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger Steaks - A Visual Tour

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since their has been a buzz around hangers lately, and since I was lucky enough to score about 10 pounds of those beauties today, I thought I'd take some photos as I trimmed them up. While these are just a little graphic, I reckon most people looking at this thread aren't going to be vegetarians to begin with, and if you're freaked out my seeing the natural state of your dinner, then stop reading and looking here. The good news is that only about half the blood you'll see here is mine - the balance from the brilliant bovine beasts that bestowed this bounty.

These are from Restaurant Depot, and although this takes a little effort, a little time, and a really sharp knife, the price is about 25% of what they cost pre-trimmed elsewhere. Don't be afraid to steel that knife every few cuts and these cut and trim very easily. The first time I did these it took quite some time to trim just one package. Tonight I spent maybe 30 minutes to do three packages or six total hanging tenders.

First off, the packaging:

HangersPackaged.jpg

And one package unwrapped:

HangersTheRaws.jpg

A closer shot of a pair of them untrimmed and untouched by my knife, one top and one bottom:

HangersUnwrapped.jpg

That pesky little tendon you've heard so much about - this sucker is like the elastic waistband out of your skivvies gentlemen:

HangersTheTendon.jpg

All trimmed, clean, and ready to eat:

HangersTrimmed.jpg

The end product of six hanging tenders, one nice pile of meat:

HangersMeatPile.jpg

There are a few smaller chunks in my meat pile because it looks like some dillweed at the processing plant took a chainsaw to one of the tenders, it was almost completely cut in half crosswise, so I cut it into 4 chunks instead of 2 longer steaks.

And finally five sets all sucked free of air and ready for the freezer. One pair I left out and and about to make a marinade to soak them in tonight for a nice dinner tomorrow of onglet and pomme frites, courtesy of a little email exchange with Mad Max himself.

HangersDone.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    So what times dinner tomorrow? :whistle:
    I'll trade ya a few mangos :laugh: :P :P
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Great visual demo. Thanks.

I have yet to find an store here that sells hanger steaks. Don't have an RD anywhere near to us.

Enjoy !
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you should have made one for hanger chili!!!

i love that stuff and it is pretty cheap when you use hangers from resturant depot ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I can't see the picture.
    DSC_0012.jpg
  • Fidel
    Options
  • Fidel
    Options
    I've got my sights set on hanger fajitas one night soon.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Now you give a tutorial...where were you Sunday when I needed help??? LOL...great pictures for the Hangar novices. My pack had 4 steaks in it and I am wishing I bought some more...Hangar chili, Hangar fajitas it all sounds great.... :P
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Great information Fidel. I have not messed with Hangers yet. I would have had them already but I missed them in the store :( .
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    nice job rod. .. .here is how they look when i get them at eastern market (for $6.99 a pound). .. still in one piece, with the 'scivies' waist band' still in them, but trimmed of all that exterior fat. ...

so, after all that work, did you treat yourself to one tonight??

DSCN1599.jpg

btw, here is a pic i took of the meat case at Les Halles restaurant on Park Ave in new york city, tony bourdain's place .... the hanger steaks are front and center in the cabinet. .. they have been trimmed and split like in rod's last picture, but then in a further step, they are butterflied and pounded to an even thickness. ..thats what gives them that 'fanned' look you see with the fat lines ....

DSCN1407.jpg

its a great meat case with everything butchered in the classic french style. ..
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Thanks Rod!!! Very helpful... I couldn't see the label to tell what cut of meat to look for... What do you look for?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rod,

You have such nice knives! A couple of weeks ago, I simmered hangers in water and beef stock for about 1 1/2 hours and shredded it. Then put it in a hot cast iron pan and caramelised it. Made enchiladas with it and just awesome. Did the same with chicken breasts a few times as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Options
    At restaurant depot they are sold as "beef hanging tenders"

At $2 per pound they are the best flavor per pound of any meat I know of.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I'm going to butterfly the two I held out for tomorrow's dinner.

However, when you are trimming this many hangers, you are bound to make a few mistakes. I had probably close to 1/2 pound of scraps that I flash cooked on the stove top with a little Cowlick and served on a kaiser roll for a nice dinner sandwich.
  • Fidel
    Options
    They aren't called Hanger Steaks in the meat case. They are labeled as Beef Hanging Tenders.

First meat case in Norcross on the right side of the cooler, top shelf, right corner.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Options
    Great series of photos.

How did you remove the tendon?
  • Fidel
    Options
    With my handy dandy boning knife
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    You got skilzzz Fidel! Looks like skirt steak. Is it similar? Scott
  • Fidel
    Options
    The grain is a lot like skirt, but it is much more tender and has a deeper, richer flavor.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Max,

Nice job on the pics by you and Rod. Very informative.

I see there's a Restaurant Depot in Alexandria, too bad I don't qualify for membership ergo its Eastern Market in the District. But that will have to wait until next weekend as I'm taking my three kids to a NYY game in the new stadium on Saturday.
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    VERY helpful. I will be searching for hanger steaks this weekend. I am hoping our local buthcer can help without fleecing me :ohmy:
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    How beautiful! South west GA does not have a counter like that...
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    bill, throw a cooler in the car, leave an hour earlier, stop by eastern market, then go to the game!!...eastern market is only a half mile from the ball park. .. . in fact, go to eastern market, then go park over at the parking lots at old RFK stadium and ride the shuttle busses to the new ball park. . . easy peasy!!!! its the best way to park and go to a nats game anyway (unless you have reserved parking at the new stadium)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yum, sounds good... .
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Wow, that looks great. Thanks for the visual tour. Gotta get to Restaurant Depot soon B)
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Ooooops I didn't make it clear... we're heading to NYC :blush: But now I know where the market is - thanks.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL. ..shows you i don't pay any attention to the NATS schedule!!. ...while you are in NYC, go down to 86th and 3rd ave to the "papaya king". ..best hot dog in the world!!! ...wash it down with a fresh papaya juice ...i never go into the city without stopping for one!!(ok, at least two!!!) with their mustard and sour kraut, yummy in your tummmy!!!! ... .

got any other plans while you're up there?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great tour Fidel, I had no idea what I was getting into until I unwrapped it. Like you said, the sharper the knife, the better. B)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I just had to add some pics of "cooked" hangers!
    DSCI0002-21.jpg
    These were the hangars that Max was kind enough to send home with me. Cuts like buttah! :)
    DSCI0006-19.jpg
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    I have my two boys in tow and will meet my daughter at the game. Tried to get in at the Marriott Marquis, etc., with points but couldn't and at $55/night to park (and no expense budget :laugh: ) I decided to go over to NJ near Parsippany and treat them to a local Italian meal at Il Villaggio, great food, reasonable pricing then use points to over night at the Residence Inn in Parsippany.