Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Them dang rings

MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ron. aka RRP sent me the thread that mentioned my oh so funky Temperature Rings. Ron has always been a big supporter of them as have so many other Eggers.

I stopped making them because my business demanded that I do. I just didnt have the time to spend on them. Sad but true.

They are all over the states and even have a couple sets down under.

I have given consideration to firing them up again. No pun intended.

I actually have a new design that requires only one ring that works quite well. Lawn Ranger can tell ya about that one.

So RRP, thanks again for the kind words and I will try to visit more often.

Mick

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Good seeing you here, Mick!

BTW - remember you sent me one of your new prototypes as well as Lawn Ranger - though I modified mine a tad by drilling out the first hole so it begins at a higher starting point and then the smaller holes lets me finesse the temp.
    IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    What type of wood is used that can handle the heat?
    Looks like the top slider is laminent.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's used at lower temps.

but i think i saw one with a metal veneer on the bottom
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    That's the one I have also Ron.
    Larry
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Some one used to drill out the bottom vent the same way. I could not find it in a search but I have seen it.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Some one used to drill out the bottom vent the same way. I could not find it in a search but I have seen it.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Ron: Would you mind measuring the dimensions of your ring w/ the slider for me? I have a friend who has all kinds of machinist tools in his basement. I'm sure he could copy this for me out of aluminum or steel. Does it fit snug on the inside? If so he would be able to adjust the dimensions to allow for the coefficient of expansion for whatever metal we end up using. I would appreciate you taking time out to do this me.
  • Buxwheat
    Eggor used to make these. They were called Lucy's. Another guy makes them now and calls them Micro-adjuster. They sell for about $15 w/ shipping I think. I have one and really like it. I have used it on several occasions and can reliably dial in the exact temp I want on each cook. For example, all petals open and DFMT off will give me 350° every time. I have his name, email, and phone number if anyone wants one.
  • Buxwheat wrote:
    Eggor used to make these. They were called Lucy's. Another guy makes them now and calls them Micro-adjuster. They sell for about $15 w/ shipping I think. I have one and really like it. I have used it on several occasions and can reliably dial in the exact temp I want on each cook. For example, all petals open and DFMT off will give me 350° every time. I have his name, email, and phone number if anyone wants one.

I had one a few years back and loved it....got lost somewhere and have been making do without....think it's time it get me another. Could you please foward me the info on getting another one? P.S. Dire Wolf is one of my favorite Dead songs!
  • Photo Egg
    I understand they are for lower temp and really like the natural distress look the wood gets with use.
    Just wondered if solid wood pices, plywood and or what type of wood might work better. also if the wood is stained or treated. I have seen past posts about wood flash points temps decreasing with continued exposure. Sorry, slow day at work.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    They are made of a special Baltic-type plywood that is only 5/8" thick but consists of 10 plies...unlike your common plywood! It's an expensive product that MickeyT uses in his company which makes the wooden portion of high end measuring tools. In fact the rings and the prototype were all cut using lasers - not saws nor drills. As for burning the ones I use the most are slightly charred on the first ply only after all these years. The largest one I ever used was for pizza at 550° and it is the darkest, but still not burnt.
  • MickeyT
    Those rings were made from a Finland Maple laminate that you cant buy in any store. I use that would in my business. I've had mine since conception which is about 8 years ago. Have hit all temps, been left in the snow and rain. Actually found one a month after a snow fall that i left on my table. They are still rockin like day one. And they are used for any temperature hence the name.

I actually use them for all my eggs. Just like the way they work and last. Never have to clean em' just use em'

Mick
  • RRP
    No offense, but please ask Mickey for that information. Mickey gave me my set of rings which he used to sell for $50 and he also gave me the wing prototype. I just wouldn't feel right - especially since he said in his post that he may start making them again. Sorry but I'm just funny that way.
  • MickeyT
    Not a good idea as the ring it self gets quite toasty at times. not too hot to remove though. Any metal would conduct way too much heat IMHO.

Mick
  • stike
    people always find it amazing that the most fire resistant construction rating (in most conventional cases) is heavy timber...

if it isn't burning, it might char. and if it's only charring, it will last a long time.
  • Photo Egg
    Thank you so much for the information.
    Very nice work.
    Please put me on your list if you start making the wing version. I'm sure I could "hack" one out but it would never be the same as owning a true "Mickey T".
    The people on this forum have designed some of the coolest things...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    They've got to be near 7 years old maybe more. The wood has a brown patina from smoke/heat but they've never burned. Love'um.

Mick, I have to tell you they are worth every dollar you might ask for them.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Please send me the info? I'd love to have that little rig. Thanks a lot.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I have two sets, for the Large and for the Small. They're terrific and I still use them on occasion. Love the patina on the wood after all that smoking!

Judy
    San Diego, CA
    Judy in San Diego
  • stike
    i forget who started making them again. i gave him a couple measurements, but he had it all under control anyway.

i like mine a lot. it's one of Eggor's original ones.

250 is two holes open. that's it.

walk away
  • Buxwheat
    Contact info sent via email.
  • Buxwheat
    I'll just wait for him to come out of semi-retirement and start another production run.
  • Buxwheat
    If you ever go back into production, put me down for one or one set, too.
  • Sam
    Sam Posts: 5
    In a previous thread I also asked for the dimensions thinking that Mickey was not going to produce them anymore. I would much rather purchase a set from him than make my own. Mickey, if you start producing them dang rings again, I would love to have a set.

Thanks,

Sam
  • I just found some of the micro-adjusters at a web site http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ I clicked on tools and they were there. It said they would be on sale August 17, 2009 I am going to buy one and will post a reply to let everyone know how it works.