Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt in a paper bag??

Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was an article in the local fish wrapper on the BGE. Very good and positive article, BUT they finished it up with a recipe for cooking a Boston Butt in a paper bag! I don't have the paper anymore, but it was basically cooking the BB as we normally would and then finish it of in the later stages in an oiled paper bag. Sounds pretty foolish and makes no sense.....BUT I have never done it or heard of it.....SO....it may make sense and not foolish at all. Anyone do this (doubt it) or would try it (I know a few of the mad scientists out there would)?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I cook ham in a paper bag in the oven.Haven't tried it on the egg.But the ham cooked that way is the best I've ever tasted. ;)
  • I think I might try two butts this weekend....side by side...one traditional and one in a paper bag.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I am not sure what that bag does,but the ham is wonderful.I doulble wrap in plain brown grocery bag.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    SoyersPaperBagCooking2.jpg

Sure, paper bag cooking is still popular. My granny did it all the time, and not just with hams. The oldest cookbook I have seen is from the turn of the century. One thing that many folks will point out is that the paper is not as pure or clean as it used to be. Plus many bags have ink. So take this with a grain of salt. I think the clear Cook-In bags have kind of replaced the paper bag technique.

One more thing you can do with paper bags or butcher paper is wrap your barbecue in it for resting. Instead of foil. Many of the larger Q-joints in Texas keep their brisket in paper in the warming pit when slicing to order.

As you can see below, the method for many things is similar. The end products are actually quite moist. I really like potatoes in the bag. The notes in blue are a general temperature guideline.

SoyersPaperBagCooking.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    surprised no ones come out with cooking paper bags made from hickory, pecan, cedar, etc. :laugh: seems like there could be a market
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman wrote:
    surprised no ones come out with cooking paper bags made from hickory, pecan, cedar, etc. :laugh: seems like there could be a market

Check your email
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    After getting the idea on another forum I frequent I did a 9lb butt a few weeks ago using a paper bag. Instead of foiling the butt at 160F, I placed it in a paper bag and folded the ends to seal it up. The paper bag used was one that you get in the freezer section at the grocery store. It works as well as foiling without destroying the bark as much. I'm sold on paper bags and I always pick up a few anytime I am at the grocery store.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I like that attitude. Try it and let us hear from you. Just make sure that you don't let any flames get to the bag. Even though the EGG is only 220 doesn't mean the tip of a flame is not 452 Fahrenheit (I think that is the right number)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Cooked both pork and beef in 'paper bag', non waxed butcher paper actually in the oven. Both turned out fantastic.

Low temp and long cook time. great aroma in the house and excellent eats.

I have wondered if doing the same in the egg would impart any smoke flavor into the meat.

GG