Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RE; "The Shrimp Boat's In"

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not trying to be a jerk here, but it may come off that way. But here it goes........
I live in Charleston, South Carolina and have been watching the demise of the shrimping industry, here and the whole US. WE must buy wild caught...U.S. SHRIMP!.Not just for the sake of the shrimpers, but for OUR OWN HEALTH!
The post that started out with "THE SHRIMP BOATS IN" then goes on to say that the shrimp was bought from Costco and frozen at that. That shrimp never saw a boat....it was raised in filthy ponds that have chicken coops over them.....you are eating shrimp that is fed chicken S@#T.

ASLO.........there is nothing finer than SWEET local shrimp dusted with your favorite rub and cooked on a BGE! I usually just get a cast iron pan piping hot, throw some cherry wood in the EGG......garlic butter and then throw a bunch of local shrimp in the pan.....close the top (for concentrated smoke....as the shrimp will only be in the EGG for a couple of minutes....DO NOT OVER COOK! One thing about the EGG....it even makes that tasteless,tainted stuff from Asia taste good.

Sorry about that rant....but, I've watch a bunch of shrimpers go out of biz......IT'S even tough to get LOCAL reataruants to serve LOCAL shrimp. I know it's all about size and uniformity, but I think taste and quality should be a factor as well. Good eatin', Paul

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I agree with you and only buy wild caught shrimp...and several times I have bought just that at Costco. The Costco I go to has a special kiosk set up on Fridays and Saturdays with fresh wild caught seafood.

The farm raised crap is nasty, mealy, and without much flavor.

On a side note, since you are a Charleston resident maybe you can help me out. I'll be on Seabrook Island the last week of this month. Where is the best place for me to pick up some shrimp right off the boat? I plan to buy a few pounds when I get there and fill up a cooler the day I leave.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    YUCK, did not know about the chicken crap, or the farm raised stuff. I'll shop smarter. Thanks. Smiles out. Oh, chicken eggs arn't to bad. LOL
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Okay, you've converted me, no more frozen shrimp from Costco only wild caught fresh shrimp for me. In addion to shrimpers going out of business you description of shrimp raised in ponds pushed me over the top:sick:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Midnight,

I hear ya and I agree with you . . . up to the point where you placed your soap box smack dab in the middle of Jupiter Jim's back. Many of us have bought seafood from the club stores and to single Jim out I feel is unfair. During these economic times we do not always have the choice we would like of where we buy things and have to do our best. If I wanted to buy fresh grouper today I would go down to the local fish market where the grouper is not only fresh buy is imported from Central America. That does not go toward supporting any local industry but goes toward depleting a natural resource outside our boundaries because we have used up our own. The commercial fishing industry is opportunistic and voluntary, I know, I have worked in it. You fish commercially because it is there. In the past we were able to make good money with little education. Buy a boat, your gear and the proper license and you were good to go. Thousands upon thousands of us did it and now the resources are depleted to the point that the industry will not support everybody that wants to be part of it and we as the consumer have had to look else where for our beloved grouper or shrimp or what ever. To pick Jim out and pick his post apart just ain't fair, Sorry but thats my .02¢ worth.

Have a great day,

Gator
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    ive heard that tilapia is raised the same way, good thing i live in newengland and dont need to eat imported fish
    heres some local tasty maine shrimp, small and always half the price of imported shrimp. so sweet its worth the extra effort when available
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=392243&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Good point. We have bought the large sacks of frozen shrimp from Sam's (probably the same as Costco) when we were out of fresh shrimp.

I think all products must now show the country of origin and we always now check to make sure our seafood is from the US.

You are right - the higher price of diesel plus the low purchase price by the buyers have dramatically hurt the shrimper business. Most commercial shrimpers in this part of the Gulf are now Asians, as they will work for the lower income than the locals.

The same applies for the catfish industry, our poor State's major export. To the point that Congress several years ago had to pass a bill defining catfish as the species raised here, not the fish from Vietnam.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Agreed. OK to have an opinion on what shrimp you prefer and why it's better, but not really in the spirit of the forum to go ripping on another member especially when they weren't making an argumentative post to begin with.

Would be different if someone posts an argumentative statement like "weed burners are the ONLY way to light the Egg and the rest of you are crazy" but that's not what happened here. You just took someone else's post about a cook they liked and crapped all over it.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Gator Bait wrote:
    Hi Midnight,

I hear ya and I agree with you . . . up to the point where you placed your soap box smack dab in the middle of Jupiter Jim's back. Many of us have bought seafood from the club stores and to single Jim out I feel is unfair. During these economic times we do not always have the choice we would like of where we buy things and have to do our best. If I wanted to buy fresh grouper today I would go down to the local fish market where the grouper is not only fresh buy is imported from Central America. That does not go toward supporting any local industry but goes toward depleting a natural resource outside our boundaries because we have used up our own. The commercial fishing industry is opportunistic and voluntary, I know, I have worked in it. You fish commercially because it is there. In the past we were able to make good money with little education. Buy a boat, your gear and the proper license and you were good to go. Thousands upon thousands of us did it and now the resources are depleted to the point that the industry will not support everybody that wants to be part of it and we as the consumer have had to look else where for our beloved grouper or shrimp or what ever. To pick Jim out and pick his post apart just ain't fair, Sorry but thats my .02¢ worth.

Have a great day,

Gator

I'm VERY, VERY SORRY that I came across as putting Jim down. THAT was not my intent and I truly apologize. I did not mean to blast him about the term.. "Shrimp boats in". I used to but my shrimp at the Box stores as well until I moved here. I'm just surrounded daily about the woes of the local shrimpers and stories on how farm raised shrimp are brought to market. Sorry again... Paul
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    I agree with you and only buy wild caught shrimp...and several times I have bought just that at Costco. The Costco I go to has a special kiosk set up on Fridays and Saturdays with fresh wild caught seafood.

The farm raised crap is nasty, mealy, and without much flavor.

On a side note, since you are a Charleston resident maybe you can help me out. I'll be on Seabrook Island the last week of this month. Where is the best place for me to pick up some shrimp right off the boat? I plan to buy a few pounds when I get there and fill up a cooler the day I leave.

Not sure of the Seabrook area, but the biggest fleet is just north of Charleston on Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant. I'm sure you can get local shrimp down that way (20 miles south?)in Seabrook Island. Shoot me an email befor you come down. Maybe I can hook up with you and drop a cooler full off for you. Paul
  • Fidel
    Options
    I got some in Mt. Pleasant last trip back in January when we stayed in Charleston.

I am going to be there with the wife and kids the 25th through the 1st. Love to meet you if you have time to come down. I'm taking my medium egg so if you want to come over for an evening of steaks and drinks let me know.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    I got some in Mt. Pleasant last trip back in January when we stayed in Charleston.

I am going to be there with the wife and kids the 25th through the 1st. Love to meet you if you have time to come down. I'm taking my medium egg so if you want to come over for an evening of steaks and drinks let me know.
    Cool...loved to. I was actually going to offer one of my EGGS if you were flying. Paul
  • Fidel
    Options
    I'm confused. Do we have 2 "Midnight Smoker" handles posting here.

I have other messages on the Weight Loss forum from Midnight Smoker but signed with the name Brad H. from Alabama

You are Midnight Smoker signing with the name Paul from Charleston.

Maybe I need a beer.......
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Glad to hear it Paul. I feel sorry for the plight of the fishermen also but you have to remember that no body else has put them in that occupation, no one else has over fished our resources. They have done it to them selves. I have fished lobsters, scallops, clams and glass eels (immature eels about 2" - 4" are almost clear and are a delicacy in Japan) and have watched it happen. Look at the scallop industry, we used to drag for them and haul them up by the hundreds if not thousands. Today the easiest way is diving for them on the ledges because we have fished them all from the flats, hence "diver scallops". You drag the ledges and you end up with a drag full of rocks.
    I wouldn't cry to hard for the fishermen, their day has about come and gone. Without strict regulations to protect the resources they are history, it can't be helped. I would love to be working on the water, once it gets in your blood you can't think of doing anything else, it is a passion. There just aren't the resources for everyone that wants to do it. :(

Gator
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Not arguing here but what do you think shrimp & scallops eat that live in the ocean....plankton which is made up of many things including poop...I have cleaned many a scallop and they are disgusting but I love to eat them...I would much rather eat fresh than farm raised anything...but if weren't for farm raised fish, shrimp, cows,pigs, etc there really would not be enough of it to it...so again while I agree to eat fresh when I can i will still eat farm raised when i have to...BTW not eating farm raised anything would put a lot of people out of business also...just my 2 cents
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Not arguing here but what do you think shrimp & scallops eat that live in the ocean....plankton which is made up of many things including poop...I have cleaned many a scallop and they are disgusting but I love to eat them...I would much rather eat fresh than farm raised anything...but if weren't for farm raised fish, shrimp, cows,pigs, etc there really would not be enough of it to it...so again while I agree to eat fresh when I can i will still eat farm raised when i have to...BTW not eating farm raised anything would put a lot of people out of business also...just my 2 cents

Agree, but the farm raised shrimp I'm speaking of come from Asia where there are few and any health regulation. I'm not talking plankton.....I'm talking chicken waste and pig waste.....raw waste.....and I'm sure that there probably is a bit of waste from the local village mixed in with it as well. Also....I have noooo problems if some unregulated Asian shrimp farmers go out of business. I eat a ton of catfish and get most of it from farm raised ponds here in the United States.....sure, there are some nasty growers, but for the most part they are right on track with the health regulations.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    I'm confused. Do we have 2 "Midnight Smoker" handles posting here.

I have other messages on the Weight Loss forum from Midnight Smoker but signed with the name Brad H. from Alabama

You are Midnight Smoker signing with the name Paul from Charleston.

Maybe I need a beer.......

Nothing like a cold one to staighten you out! I've beenon the forum since 2004.....switched over to the new one in'07. Not sure about Brad H. as I have not been posting here for a couple of months, but I'm back in the saddle again. Paul
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Don’t want too…Nor mean too crap on anybody’s comments here and that is NOT my intent, BUT:
    I envy any and all of you that can and do get fresh seafood.
    Here in Northern MN. I have plenty of Walleye, Northern Pike and Bass that I can catch myself, let alone buy at the market if I want….Therefore I know it is fresh and even know where it came from if I pulled it from the lake myself, but from there on out it all seems a crap-shoot!
    I’ve gotten jumbo scallops and shrimp at the local market, but I don’t know where it came from!!??!!
    Sure, I know the “tail on, Med. size” shrimp in the bag came from a farm in Thailand….But what about the other stuff from the “meat case”? I just don’t know! And nobody seems to be able to answer either!
    I do love / appreciate the comment about reading labels, for sure! Just a few days ago I got some “Wild Caught” fresh frozen salmon to do up on a plank. Not reading any further then “Wild Caught” I assumed West coast, Alaska…For sure not farmed. Right?
    In reading the label once home and cooking, I found it read “product of China”!!!! What?? Wild caught salmon from China?? Got to wonder about that one!! Could be a MAYBE in my mind, but it sent flags up for me, none the less.
    Anybody South and East (Coast) of me wanting to trade Northern fillets for shrimp?
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Mr. & Mrs Potatohead wrote:
    Don’t want too…Nor mean too crap on anybody’s comments here and that is NOT my intent, BUT:
    I envy any and all of you that can and do get fresh seafood.
    Here in Northern MN. I have plenty of Walleye, Northern Pike and Bass that I can catch myself, let alone buy at the market if I want….Therefore I know it is fresh and even know where it came from if I pulled it from the lake myself, but from there on out it all seems a crap-shoot!
    I’ve gotten jumbo scallops and shrimp at the local market, but I don’t know where it came from!!??!!
    Sure, I know the “tail on, Med. size” shrimp in the bag came from a farm in Thailand….But what about the other stuff from the “meat case”? I just don’t know! And nobody seems to be able to answer either!
    I do love / appreciate the comment about reading labels, for sure! Just a few days ago I got some “Wild Caught” fresh frozen salmon to do up on a plank. Not reading any further then “Wild Caught” I assumed West coast, Alaska…For sure not farmed. Right?
    In reading the label once home and cooking, I found it read “product of China”!!!! What?? Wild caught salmon from China?? Got to wonder about that one!! Could be a MAYBE in my mind, but it sent flags up for me, none the less.
    Anybody South and East (Coast) of me wanting to trade Northern fillets for shrimp?

I'll trade ya shrimp or Mahi for Walleye! Never had it but friends say it's great.........
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Link did not work.