Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying Wings

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I buy my wings at Costco, 10 lb. bag I think, already cut. I have never bought whole wngs and cut them myself. How many of you prefer to cut your own/ how many buy em like I do???

Cheers,

Bordello

Comments

• when Im feeling cheap I'll buy whole wings and cut my own, but its alot easier to get wingettes and drumettes . precut wings seems to be more consistent then when I do it myself
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    It depends. For volume cooking, I buy the bags, but when it's just for a few important people (just me!? or 1 or 2 others), or a Wing Competition, I get the best looking, never frozen wings and trim them myself.

BOB
    Who thinks Your Ladies are probably worth the extra effort!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I like to work with fresh chicken,if I have to I will buy the bulk at costco or Smart n Final,The fresh seem to have better texture though the cook.

GOOD EATS AND GOOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Way too into my wings to get frozen ones. I'm 50/50 on cutting them up. Wing rack for the large means whole and jamming them on the small means whole. I do like them cut up most of the time though.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    I cut my own, Easy enough to do with a Chinese chef knife; the weight of the blade easily slices through the joints.
  • Bordello
    LOL

Thanks,
    My Ladies are like gold to me. :woohoo:
    I did more deviled eggs for em but this time I added a touch of Carnivore Chipolte sauce. ;)

They loved em,

cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    That's interesting, I have never tried fresh so will have to do so.

Do they sell fresh wings???

Thans,
    Bordello
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Good to know. I did wings yesterday (see my post above) and cutting them up w/ kitchen scissors was a pain. Thought about getting a cleaver for future prep. Snipping the tips off wasn't hard, but cutting the drum section from the lower part was tough.
  • Bux,

You don't actually need a cleaver to get through that joint... any good chef's knife will slice right through it if you're in the right spot. You can cut from either side of the joint, and just get between the bones. A bit of experimentation and you should be good to go.

In response to the original question, they sometimes have fresh at our local Whole Foods, and I'll get those if they aren't too expensive. Otherwise, I prefer the Costco packs that have 6 whole wings in each. I freeze what I'm not going to use that day, and then it's easy to take out as many as I need when I need them.

-John
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Were the Wings in the frozen section ? I picked up some Wings as Costco the past Sunday in the Meat Dept. The wings came in already packed, 6 individual packs of 5 wings. The ones I didn't use I just put in the freezer.

Gary
  • Bahmanicious
    Bahmanicious Posts: 105
    The best way to cut down whole wings is to start at the tip. Hold the wing in the hand opposite your knife hand. Squeeze the tip until it is against the wingette. That exposes the joint so that when you cut down into it it comes apart cleanly where it is supposed to. Repeat by squeezing the wingette and drumette until they touch. Start the cut downward through the joint to expose it, finish by turning the knife blade over and making a cut upward to finish. Those with smaller hands may need to put the wing on a cutting board after the inital cut that exposes the joint.

This method yields clean cuts that are right at the joints everytime.
    Best,
    WA
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Those are the packs I buy, but i think there are 6 in each pack.

I prefer to cut my own also. I cut them before cooking.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I get the whole wing, cut the tip off, save for stock. Cut skin between joint and hang on rack by the drummer bone.

WINGSONBGE2302.jpg
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Real easy on these old, tired eyes, too!
    :P ;)

BOB
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    I buy the frozen ones at Sam's or Costco. I can get them that way for $1 a pound. If I buy them fresh the very best I've seen lately is $1.79 a pound. I'm just not willing to pay the difference for fresh. Especially when I can't tell the difference.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    buffalo style i would cut them, but most of the time i just add a cajun or similar rub and leave them whole, i like the crunchy wing tips. ;)
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=491362&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it