Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Cleaning

Eggerman1
Eggerman1 Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you wash the CI grate without it rusting? I assume just dry and it won't rust any help will do. I am going to try to run home at lunch and beat the rain as I left the top off of the egg and have cast iron skillet and grate in there.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You don't wash it at all. Put it in the egg and run the tempurature to 650 for a your cleaning burn and it will come out like new.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Like any other CI, cleaning with hot water and thoroughly drying is the best way. I haven't cleaned mine - just burn it off either at the end of a cook or at the beginning of a cook. Just don't use soap on it. If it looks like it might be rusting, you can coat it with lard and re-season it in your egg for about an hour at 300-350*.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Bang ! Beat me by 17 seconds!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    After the egg cools, and if I think about it, I brush it clean and hit the CI grid with a shot of Pam or other brand oil spray.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    For me I scrape/brush off the excess at the end of a cook. If there's more that needs cleaning I do a "burn off" on the next cook and then make sure to hit it with a little light oil before using.

If you do want to wash it then use only water and s stiff brush. NO SOAP! Also make sure you dry it well and re-oil. It's better to clean before a cook and let the heat dry it if you are going to use water.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Get it hot to clean. You can wash but it is cast iron and CI will rust if it is exposed to moisture or left wet.

When done cooking use a wire brush, then take some cooking oil on a napkin and wipe it down. The oil will put a protective coating on the CI.

Every time you cook much over 400° the protective coating (seasoning) will be removed and it needs to be rubbed down again after use.

GG
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Thanks for the help, all very useful, gotta love this forum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if your using the grate regularly, all it will get is a light dusty looking rust. when you start for the next cook just get it hot and if the rust looks like it will stick to your food a quick wipe with papertowel coated in vegitable oil will remove it enough for cooking. a skillet should NEVER find its way to the sink. i just wipe those out and leave them on the stove. if something is really stuck to a skillet, turn up the heat til it starts to smoke and pour a quarter cup of water in and scrape with a spatula quickly and it will lift the same way solids lift for gravey.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    th_minisausage015.jpg

click for slide show
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    scrape it with a brush when warm. shouldn't need anything more than that.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante