Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone seasoning

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a stone and am wondering about seasoning it- any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Pizza tips also appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    bake.gif
    <p />Pizza Rookie,[p]I did one on the stone (with moderate success) and one on the pizza stone with a pizza screen and it was great (bread too)![p]Smokey
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Pizza Rookie,[p]Just start using it and just scrape it clean when it get funky...if it does. Did you get a BGE stone or something else?[p]Lots of pizza cooks here, some professional and some should be, so ask all the questions you want.[p]Ashley[p]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Pizza Rookie,
    My best advice would be to suggest you check the submitted recipe section and read "Spin`s" entry for pizza...he has it mastered..if you dont want to go to all the trouble at first you can use any type of dough you like, I have used the pilsbury mix with good results....you dont need to season the stone at all, just sprnkle a little corn meal on the peel before you make the pie and it will transfer enough to the stone and you will be fine..dont sweat it just go for it and you will be surprised at the results...everyone does them a bit different, personally I go for around 550° to 600° with the stone and the platsetter in the egg for around 20 minutes. You will find your own preferences in time, but you will be fine to give it a shot and learn as you go..Good luck and let us know how it goes..[p]Wess

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Pizza Rookie,
    Also, never wash it. Just scrape it clean and wipe with a dry or damp towel. If it gets too cruddy for you, throw it in the egg and crank it up to 700 degrees for 20 minutes or so. It'll be like new.
    Chuck

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Pizza Rookie,
    As far as I know, there's no need to season it. Just be sure to let it come up to temperature with the egg and heat for 20 minutes before adding the pie.
    Good luck and enjoy!

• Pizza Rookie,
    I do pizza's often. I use a platesetter with the stone on top. I preheat, as the others said, for about 20-30 minutes at 650 or so. I also cook at this temp, but keep an eye on things. The pizza is usually done in under 10 minutes. Here is a recipe suggestion: Poach a couple of chicken thighs in water or stock. Shred the meat and then toss it in that left over bbq sauce. Put that mixture on your rolled out pizza dough. Top with shredded smoked gouda (not too much). You may even want to toss a wood chunck on the fire when you cook this one.
    Poncho