Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza help

Options
home team Jim
home team Jim Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
doing my first za on the egg 2night

a couple of questions:

regular homemade large za 4-5 toppings

seriously what temp and how long?

add smoke?

indirect with the platesetter facing down and my pizza stone on top. just slide the doughy goodness on the stone once desired temp is reached?

how do i get the pizza off the stone? i dont have one of those brick oven scoopers like rest's have.

Comments

• wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    I've done my pizzas at 500 degrees for 10 - 13 minutes, or until bubbly and the crust is how I like it. If you use yellow corn meal for 'bearings' I've had good luck using a cookie sheet and a spatchula (sp). B)

Good eggin'
    -paul
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    I'm still a relatively new egger but have done several pizzas and calzones. I prefer the platesetter legs-up, then grate, pizza stone on grate. Top and bottom seem to cook more evenly that way. Definitely use corn meal on stone.
  • home team Jim
    Options
    saw one guy that said to cut the pizza whilst on the stone, leaning towards that

the cookie sheet is a decent idea, but something tells me i would mess that up
  • home team Jim
    Options
    JB wrote:
    I'm still a relatively new egger but have done several pizzas and calzones. I prefer the platesetter legs-up, then grate, pizza stone on grate. Top and bottom seem to cook more evenly that way. Definitely use corn meal on stone.

what temp do you do it at?

i will try your way i think...do you pre-heat the stone on the grate? when do you sprinkle the corn meal on the stone, right before the za?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I recommend parchment paper to make moving it onto the stone easier. Pull the parchment out after 5-6 minutes. Make sure you pre-heat your stone a good 30 minutes before you start.

I don't add smoke, the cheese picks up plenty from just the lump.

To get the pizza off use a spatula and push it onto a cookie sheet.

This is my favorite setup - note the spacers between the stone and plate setter. This will help prevent burnt crust.

AlmostDone121708.jpg
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    Yes, definitely preheat stone and plate setter as the egg comes to temp. I use 450-500 for pizza, 400 for calzone. Sprinkle the corn meal on just before you put the pizza on the stone.
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    home team Jim wrote:
    regular homemade large za 4-5 toppings

seriously what temp and how long?

add smoke?

indirect with the platesetter facing down and my pizza stone on top. just slide the doughy goodness on the stone once desired temp is reached?

how do i get the pizza off the stone? i dont have one of those brick oven scoopers like rest's have.

1) i cook at 450-500 for abotu 17-20 minutes...

2) i dont add smoke

3) yes, indirect with platesetter legs down, pizza stone on top. make sure you preheat the platesetter and pizzastone as the dome is coming to temp. Some people preheat their stones for 30 mins or more.

4) i use parchment paper, that way i dont have to fight with the pizza peels / and getting the dough stuck to everything etc etc etc. Parchment paper works wonderous. I have a pizza pan that is big enough to slide the cooked pizza off the stone and onto the pan, and then slide a raw pizza back off the pan and onto the pizza stone. the lid is open for maybe 15 seconds.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I load my pizza's with a lot of toppings. I have found the best results cooking at 400 dome temp for 30 minutes. I believe with less toppings a higher temp and shorter duration would work.
  • home team Jim
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    I recommend parchment paper to make moving it onto the stone easier. Pull the parchment out after 5-6 minutes. Make sure you pre-heat your stone a good 30 minutes before you start.

I don't add smoke, the cheese picks up plenty from just the lump.

To get the pizza off use a spatula and push it onto a cookie sheet.

This is my favorite setup - note the spacers between the stone and plate setter. This will help prevent burnt crust.

AlmostDone121708.jpg

i dont have the spacers so i think i will put the stone on top of the grate after putting the platesetter

talk to me about the parchment...after 5-6 minutes the parchment paper isnt burnt? and then it slides right out from beneath the pizza whilst cooking?
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    i leave the parchement on the entire cook... it doesnt burn, although it will 'brown' on the edges a little. it won't burn.

I don't have a problem with burned crusts, so i don't use the egg feet under the pizza stone. I set the stone right on the platesetter.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Parchment paper is good to 550* (I believe). It won't burn unless exposed to flame. Just trim it down and you'll be fine.

I like to pull it out to let the stone do its job - crisp the crust and allow some moisture to escape. You certainly don't have to, and leaving the paper under the pie will make it easier to get off the egg.

Once the crust is set but before it is done, give a little tug. If the paper slides from under the pie then pull it out. You can even use a spatula or a pair of tongs to hold the pie in place making this easier. Certainly not required, but I get good results doing it.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Using pizza screen will make it a breeze.

You put the dough on an oiled pizza screen, build your toppings. Then put the screen with the pizza on it right on the pizza stone to cook, remove the whole thing when done.

Google pizza screens to see where to buy them.

Judy
    San Diego, CA
    Judy in San Diego
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    As for time and temperature, that is all dependent on the thickness and type of your crust. A thin crust will cook a short period of time at a higher temp,500* or higher. A thicker crust will require a lower temp to cook through and not burn on the bottom or incinerate your toppings. A dough with sugar in it will also require a lower temp.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I cook at 500 degrees with legs up on the plate setter.Then a thirteen inch Weber grid with four inch bolts to get it UP into the dome.

spatchcockchicken084-1.jpg
    spatchcockchicken085-1.jpg

Enjoy.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Oh crap.I meant legs down. Sorry.
  • home team Jim
    Options
    thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. endeavor was very successful. parchment paper was key

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400