Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scoville Scale

Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Interesting LINKY. How hot can you stand? Me, I'm sort of a wimp: had some Dave's Insanity Sauce once and thought I was gonna die. Only 180K.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yeah, Dave's Insanity is pretty much where i draw the line. At that point, the heat pretty much overwhelms everything else. I have had hotter, but its nothing I look for. A local rib joint had a hot that every now and then would go atomic. Just a few bites, and it would make me dizzy. Sort of a culinary Russian roulette.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Buxwheat,

Great link! Pure Cap is the hottest I've endured.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Buxwheat
    Little Steven wrote:
    Pure Cap is the hottest I've endured.
    You, Sir, are a Man amongst Men. My hat is off to you. I do question your sanity, however. :laugh:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    It is always that "second taste" a day later that tells how much you can stand. :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Buxwheat,

I don't think I looked too manly upside down in the bathtub with the cold tap wide open screaming, crying.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    I don't totally agree with their listing. For instance the table list Cholula as hotter than Tabasco. My taste buds don't see it that way.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'd agree with that...Cholula is a nice, tasty sauce but it's not hotter than Tabasco.

Hottest I've been able to take was raw habanero, 100-350k. I wanted to die.
  • I had the Mad Dog 357 and the Vicious Viper. That was several years ago. Did you know that Mad Dog has a warning that its use could cause death. I know of some people running towards the fucet with tears in there eyes. I just had some leftover paella for lunch, along with two hot thai peppers.

Andres
    Zuni, NM
  • Buxwheat
    Been there, done that.
  • Buxwheat
    I know what you mean. Some of the values were estimated, too. Suggests that it may be a subjective evaluation.
  • USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Tried some Dave's Insanity once. One drop took the taste out of my tongue for 45 minutes. Think I'll pass on anything above it on the list.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Have you had the Dave's limited edition that is packed in the coffin? when they first came out with it we had a waver our customers had to sign when they bought it saying they were warned about the heat LOL Neil was working with me and my Mom at our gift shop about 15 years ago and the sales rep asked if he would like to sample it. he used a tooth pick and barely wet the end. Neil laughed until he tasted it .... then mom, the rep and I laughed!! a tooth pic tip swirled though chili would give it plenty of heat.
    I should have read the list first LOL they have it about half way up.
    500,000 - 750,000 Dave's Insanity Private Reserve, from Dave's Gourmet (estimated)
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Food should not hurt when you eat.
    Tabasco is about my upper limit
  • Little Steven
    Buxwheat,

My then, thirteen year old son challenged me to it. Pure Cap comes with a medicine dropper. He took the whole thing and didn't break a sweat. I did it and thought I was dying. For the first few minutes he was saying "Dad breath in through your nose and out through your mouth" I think he squeezed his out behind his head.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON