Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seared Filet Mignon's

Boomer
Boomer Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last nights Filets...

I Seared them @ 650degrees for 2mins. then turning them clockwise 90 degrees and going 2 more mins. then flipping them and repeating the first step and then removing them with the beautiful sound of them crackling :)

Enjoy...

DSC00417-1.jpg

DSC00416-1.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Look good to me. Every now and then I like a nice char on my steak. It's fun to mix up the cooking method for different results.

In my house that kitty in your penultimate photo would be considered in the "danger zone".
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    They look awesome. I love a good char on my steaks. I'm currently lobbying the FDA to consider char as one of the primary food groups. :P
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Nice looking cook! So if I read you correctly the total cook time was 8 min, i.e., 2+2+2+2?
  • Boomer
    Yes. 8 minutes total. I used to just do 4 minutes and then flip the steaks over, but I like the criss-cross method better.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Thanks, I'm new to searing and Trex'ing steaks on the egg so I'm gona try your method (soon) on some ribeyes I still have left in the freezer.

And I vote for char as a primary food group. ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Bill,

We mostly eat ribeyes and use the classic TRex method.

Do you have a spider? Great for searing, but I've had to cut back on the sear time slightly when that close to the lump to prevent char becoming bitter-tasting burn.

Either way, we sear 1.5-2" ribeyes on a CI grid for 90 sec per side (45s, then 90* turn, 45 s, then flip, repeat). This is with the dome open the whole time (from lighting the lump). I then let them rest for 20 minutes in the house while getting the closed egg to 400* dome temp (using original grid if seared with the spider). If you let the dome ceramics ever get really hot, getting it down to 400* is tough.

I apply my rub during the rest time then place back on with a continuous probe in the thickest part. I remove at 125* internal, foil and rest for 4-8 minutes while plating sides, salads, etc. Gives a perfect medium rare ribeye!

BTW, I only apply coarse S&P before the sear as the rubs tend to burn in the high heat of the sear.

Enjoy!
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Nice lookin' filets there Boomer; I may have to try that as I like a little char on my thick burgers but only on fatty steaks like ribeyes. I ditto Mississippi's method but I'd be willin' to mix it up and see how I like it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Great looking steaks there.

GG
  • Boomer
    Thanks guys...
    Will keep posting pics...

Boomer...